We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in June in Sydney

london
Level Contributor
220 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in June in Sydney

Hi

Just wondered if anyone could tell me what the weather is usually like in Sydney in June, I know it is Winter but is it freezing or are there also hot, sunny days, would it be possible to swim in the sea in June?

Thanks v much

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in June in Sydney

well it's certainly not freezing.

and it's never hot by our standards.

warmish sunny days are possible.

and yes u can swim if u dont mind water temps around 14C.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255060-s208/Sydney:A…

Edited: 03 April 2013, 21:21
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,395 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in June in Sydney

There will probably be less rain in all of June than Sydney's had in the last couple of days. I've never seen Sydney so flooded, especially the Eastern Suburbs.

Cheers.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in June in Sydney

It is unusual to swim in the ocean in Sydney in June. The beaches will be deserted. The beach "season" in Sydney usually goes from October to April, with the summer months of December, January and February being the most popular.

People with unusual fortitude might brave the rockpools for a dip. Surfers in wetsuits will be out.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,398 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in June in Sydney

Hi,

I used to surf all year round when I lived in Sydney and still do although it is warmer here on the Mid North Coast. Swimming in June is certainly an option, the water temp is usually greater than the air temp. Unless I disremember badly, October had the coldest water temps.

Cheers,

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in June in Sydney

not all of us are winter beach wusses, ozrc.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in June in Sydney

June weather is not considered beach by Sydney people. These things are relative though. I can remember once working with an Irishman who went swimming here in winter.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in June in Sydney

If you decide to go swimming in the middle of winter, make sure you check the beach patrols, as some Sydney beaches are closed to swimmers (no flags) outside of the season.

Bondi and Manly will have patrols all year round. Check http://beachsafe.org.au for details

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in June in Sydney

well not actually closed, inas....more unpatrolled.

big difference.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in June in Sydney

Have a look at the BOM sit bom.gov.au/climate/…cw_066062.shtml

I've experienced colder summers in London than Sydney winter.

Daytime temperatures are in the low to mid teens.

Water temperatures don't change all that much from summer to winter - but it feels mighty cold when you get out ! Apart from the board riders (in wetsuits) you'd pretty much have the beach to yourself in winter.

10. Re: Weather in June in Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2014, 06:16