We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harbour of Lights NYE specific boat recommendations

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Harbour of Lights NYE specific boat recommendations

So we have now got somewhere to stay, YHA Sydney Harbour, now we are looking for the best boat trip NYE. I understand it is best to be in the Harbour of Lights but wondered if anyone had specific boat recommendations as I can't seem to find anything specific. I've looked at quite a few, but any specific advice would be great. So far James Craig is looking quite good.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harbour of Lights NYE specific boat recommendations

I am also considering Ocean Dreaming II which is BYO and seems quite good and $150 cheaper.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,843 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Harbour of Lights NYE specific boat recommendations

James Craig has had great reviews on here. The ship is quite classic as well. Sorry, don;t know Ocean Dreaming, some of the ships don;t operate at cruises all year round so you only hear about them on NYE.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,579 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harbour of Lights NYE specific boat recommendations

Not to be an alarmist, there was at least one incident with a boat and it's operator last NYE that left a lot of people stranded.

Check under "Scams & Alerts" on the NSW Department of Fair Trading for details and any other scams that may have been reported and are subject to investigation.

www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/default.html

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Harbour of Lights NYE specific boat recommendations

Thanks for the advice, I'll certainly keep any eye out on scams, don't want anything like that to happen.

I read on the Sydney New Year website that after the Harbour of Lights Parade there are 10 boats that have been provisionally been offered a viewing position inside Sydney Cove for the Midnight Fireworks between Dawes Point and the Sydney Opera House based on their designs of rope lights for the boats. Is this the best place to be then?

Ocean Dreaming is on the list which is a whale watching boat that operates NYE cruises but James Craig isn't. My heads baffled with the different information about boats. I've emailed another 3 so will see what their response is.

Thanks

Edited: 12 April 2013, 23:35
5. Re: Harbour of Lights NYE specific boat recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 06:17