We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I spend 7 days in Sydney?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Should I spend 7 days in Sydney?

Dear Sydney DEs and fellow travelers,

I am planning to go Sydney on June 14-21. I am wondering should I spend all 7 days in Sydney or should I go somewhere else like Gold Coast in between my stay?

Meanwhile, I will browse around your wonderful forum to check out for more info.

Thanks a lot

Chandra

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I spend 7 days in Sydney?

7 days is maybe a little long.

3-4 is ok plus another destination by air or a road trip out of sydney.

where depends on your interests.

gold coast is beaches/theme parks/sub tropical rain forerst hinterland and access to sand islands.

me? i would rent a car drive down the coast south of sydney, up to canberra and then back via the southern highlands.

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I spend 7 days in Sydney?

It will be too cold to swim in either Sydney or the Gold Coast in June, so if you are interested in beaches, Cairns would be a better place for a side trip.

Sydney offers a variety of things to do, more so than the Gold Coast, which is mainly theme parks and beaches.

In Sydney, you could plan to spend a couple of days in the Blue Mountains, for example, as well as harbour cruises, climbing the Bridge, shopping, Luna Park, the Royal National Park, and lots more.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,937 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I spend 7 days in Sydney?

Hi,

It does depend on your interests ? Its our winter so it will be cold in Sydney. If you want sunshine then you could head up to Cairns or the Sunshine Coast for a few days. Otherwise; doing a few day trips from Sydney would be the way to go.

here are a few suggestions -

Sydney - 4 days - Uluru (Ayers Rock) - 2 days - Sydney - 1 day

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17672-Uluru_Ng…

Sydney - 3 days - Cairns - 4 days - Great Barrier Reef / Daintree National Park / Cape Tribulation

Sydney - 3 days - Noosa - 4 days - Sunshine Coast / Australia Zoo / Fraser Island

Sydney - 4 days - drive south coast - via Southern Highlands to Canberra - 3 days.

http://www.southern-highlands.com.au/drives

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I spend 7 days in Sydney?

Hey guys/gals,

Thanks a lot for your wonderful replies. You people are great!!! I especially love people who love to help other people even in the smallest matter! I have been browsing around your forum and oh my god, too much information! Suddenly it seems like I can do a lot of things in Sydney and the outskirts :) But most of my friends who studied in Sydney before say the same thing, 7 days are too long in Sydney!

I don't mind the cold at all. I used to live in Wisconsin, USA and it was pretty bad there during most winters :) But I guess I will skip the bondi beach I have heard so much about!

I was considering Blue Mountain, Hunter Valley, Port Stephen and some other standard tourist spots. Do you think it's worth it?

Hmmm never heard of uluru and Noosa. Anything special down there? I will check them out after this.

I have been researching on Snowy Mountain! My wife never seen snow before so obviously never had ski/snowboard experience. Apparently during my trip, they will have the snow activities available. But the more I read the more I am confused. There are so many areas in snowy mountain! Any of you have experience with snowy mountain? Which area should I look out for or are they pretty much very near each other?

Thanks a lot again mates!!!

Cheeerrsss

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,755 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I spend 7 days in Sydney?

Mid June is very early in the ski season and there may not be much (if any) snow around.

The Blue Mountains can be very cold, wet and misty in winter while that has its charms for some you may not get to see much and your opportunities to get out and about could be limited.

Noosa isn't far enough north to be warm enough to swim.

My choice would be to split your time between Sydney and either Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef or Uluru.

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I spend 7 days in Sydney?

Hey mates,

I am back again! After reading countless threads in your forum, now I have many ideas on where to go in Sydney. However, I am still a bit unsure on one thing: Should I go Snowy Mountain or do day trips out of Sydney?

Option 1

=======

June 07 - 09: Snowy Mountain (Questionable snow condition)

June 10 - 12: Explore Sydney

June 13 : Day Trip (Blue Mountain or Port Stephen or Hunter Valley, etc)

June 14 : Flying Home

Option 2

=======

June 07 - 10: Explore Sydney

June 11 - 13: Day Trips / Road Trip

June 14 : Flying Home

For road trip, I am quite interesting in going to Southern Highland. I saw some of nice drive tracks/itineraries from the website you provided. So thank you Ellemay.

I might skip Cairns or Great Barrier Reef because if I am not wrong (correct me), the main attractions there would be the resorts, beaches, sea life, etc. As much as I would love to dive there and experience the famous Reef, we do have heaps of lovely and untouched natural beaches/seas in Indonesia that is not spelled B-A-L-I. hahahaha...

So yeah, I am torn between Snowy Mountain or Day/Road trip. I had emailed the snowymountain.com staff asking about the condition there during early June, but they never responded.

Please let me know what you think based on your experiences.

Thanks a bunch! Cheeerrss

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,386 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I spend 7 days in Sydney?

Of the two options you've listed, my vote would go to Option 2 - and do the road trip to the Southern Highlands as suggested by lien and Ellemay.

Whilst there is the charm of the Blue Mountains in winter, as pointed out by Eva, you don't see the 'Blue' haze which makes these mountains famous without the sunlight (that doesn't necessarily mean there won't be a sunny day). But the Southern Highlands is absolutely beautiful, as is a drive down to Canberra, should you decide to go further.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,937 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I spend 7 days in Sydney?

another vote for option 2 - I think you need more time if you were going to do the Snowy Mountains. As mentioned by KVE the Southern Highlands are really beautiul in winter. .. .

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I spend 7 days in Sydney?

Thanks KVE and Eve! Have read both of your replies in many other recent posts, appreciate your contributions!

I was waiting for a few more votes but I guess I am all set... option 2 it is!!!

As for accommodation, I would go with your suggestion on the other thread Elle. Airbnb it is! They have some decent deals for 4-pax. Around $150-200/night for entire apartment with decent locations. I see some of the hotels/serviced apartments cost around the same or more for 1 room.

Any particular highlight or recommended lodging on my drive down the southern highland? I have gone through website but just wanna hear your opinions and experiences!

Thanks again!

Perth, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I spend 7 days in Sydney?

My Partner and I are first timers in sydney for 6 days from this wednesday. After doing the "homework" ...there is much to see and do in Sydney and surrounds. For us 2 days in Sydney then through to historic Richmond (one night) then off to Blue Mountains...Mt Wilson them Katoomba before returning for last night in Sydney. I think its worth having a good look at NSW then perhaps do a good look at QLD another time. Happy hols to you. Anna and Ian :-)