We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Eve in Sydney: single traveller

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yarm
5 posts
Save Topic
New Year's Eve in Sydney: single traveller

I am likely to be in Sydney next new year, en route from a Tasmania wedding. I am single, so I suppose that may make things tricky. Are there any events (for mature singles!) that would enable me to enjoy the event but not feel too isolated (no friends or family around). I really would like to make the best of the opportunity!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
326 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year's Eve in Sydney: single traveller

If you are going to stay outside and watch the fireworks (which I suggest) I find you make friends from sitting outside for hours waiting...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,560 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year's Eve in Sydney: single traveller

Just book your accommodation as soon as possible.

Yarm
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year's Eve in Sydney: single traveller

Thank you! Any idea where would be a good bar/restaurant to sit in while waiting: or are they all booked in advance?

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year's Eve in Sydney: single traveller

Personally, I would avoid the big crowds - they can make you feel even more lonely.

I would do normal things/hang around in the hotel until 11 or so, then go to a park to watch the fireworks.

Hastings
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year's Eve in Sydney: single traveller

Hi there,

I too may find myself in Sydney as a single traveller and wondering how I might make the best of it. I have checked out lost of places and things to do for the evening, but trying to gauge how that might feel alone. My plans aren't quite confirmed yet, though I do have accommodation booked at Sydney Harbour YHA up to 31st Dec followed by Sydney Central YHA from 31st Dec onwards.

If you were interested to meet up, or even share accommodation, as I have a double room booked (was travelling with a friend, hence changing plans) then just met me know.

Hayley

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year's Eve in Sydney: single traveller

@ Hayley,

hopefully you'll be able to link up with other travelers that you'll meet at the YHA and join them for their new years eve partying.

that would be the best place to meet other solo travelers.

also, congrats for getting those accommodations at the YHA!

enjoy!

Hastings
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Year's Eve in Sydney: single traveller

Thanks June.

Hopefully I will meet up with others!

I booked the accommodation months ago, so at least I have that hurdle covered.

Thanks again!

Exeter, United...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: New Year's Eve in Sydney: single traveller

I will also be in Sydney for New Years by myself. If you both want to meet up?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Year's Eve in Sydney: single traveller

I have done a bit of research on this subject and have found www.luxurysydneyharbourcruises.com.au which is a husband and wife operator of a boat named Sydney Sundancer that has won a lot of awards including Best Wedding Reception Vessel in Australia. We exchanged a few emails and from that correspondence we gained an appreciation for just how fantastic the experience of a harbor cruise on NYE will be.

One of the points I came to understand (but never thought about) is that NYE on Sydney harbor is not just about the fireworks, there is the Harbor of Light (procession of illuminated boats) Parade and the best way to see this is from a moored boat as the illuminated vessels pass by. Apparently these boats “follow the leader” in single file so if you are on one of the boats in the parade you will mostly see the lights on the boat in front and behind yours which is a pity because the boats decorate the sides which is obscured from vision.

Price for NYE is $650 per person and this includes drinks (you can drink Bollinger all night if you like) and we liked the fact that the dessert cake which is baked in the shape of Australia is decorated with the flags of all the nationalities of guests aboard. Also we liked the idea that the operator will limit the number of people aboard to ensure everyone’s comfort (through adequate space) rather than go for the $$$.

I will be posting a review of the cruise on TA

10. Re: New Year's Eve in Sydney: single traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 05:17