We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport on NYE?

Sheffield
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Public transport on NYE?

Hi,

I'm planning to be in Sydney for NYE this year 2013/14.

I'm desperately trying to find out whether public transport runs as normal, what times the buses / trains / ferries stop running and whether it is sensible to stay slightly further out and rely on public transport or whether I'm likely to end up with a long walk home!

I can't find any info on the official websites, the transport website only allows trip planning for the next month and the official NYE website just links to the transport website.

Any advice from people in the know would be very useful! Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,135 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport on NYE?

They run special event timetable with more public transport than normal, you are unlikely to be stranded

Timetables will be updated closer to the night

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,148 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport on NYE?

I seem to recall that most public transport kept running all night last year, but the transport arrangements are not announced until much later in the year.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport on NYE?

Transport on NYE is generally better than normal albeit crowded. If you choose somewhere that is accessible the rest of the time you should be fine. Bear in mind that a lot of people will be using the transport system and it is more than likely that you will need to be in a crowd and be patient.

Australia
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport on NYE?

I find that if you are willing to do a power walk straight after the fireworks finish it helps you get ahead of the crowds. Also, Circular Quay, Wynyard and Town Hall are the most crowded stations so walking a bit further can help.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport on NYE?

New Years Eve is a great night to be in Sydney and watch the Fireworks. In answer to your Questions:-

1) The Fireworks are at 9.00pm and 12.00 midnight.

2) BUSES

State Transit provides additional forward buses between 4.00pm and 9.00pm from the Suburbs to the City in addition to their normal services. Private Bus Companies also operate additional Services.

Additional Return buses are provided at 9.00pm after the fireworks up to midnight. Then a second set of additional return buses are provided after the midnight fireworks.

Buses run all night on New Years Eve.

3) FERRIES

Normal holiday Ferry Services operate in the daytime on New Years Eve. They do not operate when the Fireworks are on. I cannot remember the time they stop running but it is in the Early Evening.

Special Charted Ferries operate on the Harbour to watch the Fireworks. You could get a ticket on one of them.

4) Trains

Additional Train Services operate similar to the times I provided about the Buses. They are very extremely crowded at the City Stations and at Milsons Point when each of the Fireworks end. You may not be able to get on the first train but should not have to wait too long to board one. I went to Bradfield Park last year and watched the fireworks . I then walked to North Sydney Station rather than trying to board at Milsons Point Station due to the long queues there. It was a nice cool night to walk.

5) It would be best to find accommodation near the City on New Years Eve or stay near a train Station or major bus Route in the Suburbs.

6) Part of the City is closed on New Years Eve for Cars. The area near Circular Quay is closed to traffic.

There are plenty of observation points on the Harbour to view the Fireworks but tickets are required to some venues.

I presumed you want to watch the Fireworks but If you want to go to another venue for a party or dinner etc the information about Public Transport applies.

I hope this answers your questions. Have a great New Years Eve.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,236 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport on NYE?

Just a small add...

I seem to recall that buses to certain wharves stopped approximately the same times as the ferries - on the north side, and there's like a 1 kilometre exclusion zone from the viewing areas for non local traffic (residents only). I'm not sure about the western and eastern ferry services, but definitely Cremorne Point, Musgrave Street, Mosman Bay and Athol Wharf.

7. Re: Public transport on NYE?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 05:17