We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time spent at attractions

Quirindi, New South...
Level Contributor
181 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Time spent at attractions

I am hoping we are coming to Sydney the very beginning of August this year with my then 1, 3 and 5 year old children. We are staying in darling harbour for 6 nights and I am hoping to visit:

- Sydney Aquarium

- Wildlife zoo

- Taronga Zoo

- Australian Museum (for the dinosaurs for the 3/5 year olds)

- Powerhouse museum

Will I need a full day for each of these or how long will I need?

I am also hoping to go up for a look at the Sydney tower, Chinatown/chinese frienship gardens, Hyde park.

How would you spend each day(5 full days)?

Is there anything I am missing that I shouldn't with the kids this is the first time for the kids and its been at least 15+ years since me or my husband has been?

or anything I should not worry about going to see that I have put down?

Thanks

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time spent at attractions

I did the aquarium first thing in the morning when it opened and was there for just under a couple of hours but maybe with kids you could push it to half a morning.

Wildlife Sydney Zoo is virtually next door (should be able to get a combo ticket) or you could cross Prymont Bridge and go to the Maritime Museum.

Edited: 10 May 2013, 11:27
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,302 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time spent at attractions

I would think about doing Taronga zoo and not the other zoo. Taronga is a day trip in itself and lovely. You can get the ferry over.

Hyde Park is nice- but not so special really. Two hours maybe? thats including the war memorial.

If you go to the Botanic gardens you can get a little train through there which kids like. Lotsof room to run around in and great for a picnic. There is also a restaurant with kiosk under it .

Powerhouse- say three/four hours. Depending on how long your kids last. There is a fun playground outside. not sure if the play/builders house is open still, but my kids went in there for hours..........

Aquarium 4 hours max. Most people are in and out in two or so.

You may want to include a trip to the beach like Balmoral. You can get a bus from town. Its a nice safe beach to swim at being a harobour one, cafes, playground. Its totally family orientated. Or the other thing is to get a ferry to Manly and walk around to Shelley beach- safe flat swim beach, with grass and sand to play,

I would play it by ear with the museum visits. Too much in a short time can send kids over the brink..

There are some great things also that are suitable like a tour of Homebush Stadium of the Olympic areas etc. You can cycle- and I believe hire bikes. Also, if you like the park thing you can go to Centennial park and hire some bikes, do a lap of the park, have lunch at the cafe and play at the playground. Clovelly is another lovely beach suitable for a paddle and play in the sand with kids your age. A few nice coffee shops nearby as well

Quirindi, New South...
Level Contributor
181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time spent at attractions

Thanks for your responses so far. Looks like I should look at some more things to do. My kids are pretty good at doing things all day. We just got back from the goldcoast where we spent 4 full days doing the parks in a row and they were fine.

I won't be doing any cycling I will be 7.5 months pregnant LOL. Maybe I can send DH with the boys and me and my daughter (1 year old) will walk through the park.

Is it easy to get around? We are such country people and it scares me a bit.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,069 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time spent at attractions

just note August is about our coldest month so swimming at Manly is not advised.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,302 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time spent at attractions

http://www.au.timeout.com/sydney/kids

Check out this link too.

Don't discount having a paddle , play on the sand . Often you get lovely warm August days which are great for playing on the beach. The kids will love it.

Are you driving? Makes it easier to if you have a car, but then you do end up paying lots for parking in town. You are better to leave car and get bus around the city etc.

You can also get the red explorers bus where you hop on and hop off- no need for car. The traffic is a bit crazy, but if you have a gps that can help.

Edited: 10 May 2013, 12:47
Quirindi, New South...
Level Contributor
181 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time spent at attractions

We will catch a train from newcastle so we won't have a car. Going to the beach just for a play in the sand would be good too.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,139 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time spent at attractions

Sydney is reasonably easy to get around by walking & public transport, although with 3 littlies it wont be super easy!

If you have a look at the FAQ's on the right hand side of this page there is lots of info. on public transport, things to do & a whole FAQ on visiting with children.

The official Sydney tourism site also has lots of great suggestions to help plan your visit www.sydney.com/things-to-do/family-holidays

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,181 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time spent at attractions

Here's a thought. Take the ferry to Manly, walk down the Corso to the beach and from there around to the right to Shelly Beach. It's a lovely little protected bay, absolute heaven for kids, with a couple of cafes along the way and at the beach end.

There are changing rooms, toilets etc., at the Manly Surf Club, at the southern end of the beach, just before the Shelly Beach walkway begins.

The walk itself will take about 15 minutes if you take your time to look at the charming little sculptures in the retaining wall. There are plenty of seats of you need a break along the way or at Shelly Beach.

I've seen kids, and a few hardy adults, swimming there year round - but even if yours don't want to have a dip, it's a nice spot to play in the sand. And the adults can have a coffee!

…nsw.gov.au/attractions/…

Edited: 11 May 2013, 04:48
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,793 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time spent at attractions

I loved the walk from manly to Shelley beach. I wonder if the dragons are out and about in August? That would be fun for the kids!

Abs :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
100 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Time spent at attractions

As someone pointed out, August will be cold. Only go to the beach if you get a warm sunny day (these do happen!) with at least 20C top temp. Then go only in the middle of the day, my advice would be a ferry ride to Many as it will not take long, and once the kids are tired of the beach,or it is too cold there are lots of family friendly cafe's for a warm drink. If you do get a sunny day it will be majic though, something they will not forget.

The powerhouse and aquarium are great for kids, they will enjoy them. Check out any free tours on the day by helpers etc, via the websites, as this will give them a lovely experience.

The best zoo in Australia is Taronga, take the ferry over to it, catch the chair lift up, and walk your way down via the exhibits. Take some extra drink and food for the kids as the do charge a bit. Also take your camera, the views of Sydney are fantastic.

Keep an eye on this site, as Sydney does have events for kids most weeks. http://whatson.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au

Hope you all have a great time.