We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving airport LATE NIGHT best car rental option

Central Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving airport LATE NIGHT best car rental option

Questions:

#1 best rental car option for late arrival.

#2 Is rental car pickup and return same international and domestic

Question One...

Two elderly adults are arriving Sydney Domestic terminal on Virgin Australia from Perth. We get in about 10:30 on a Saturday and will have luggage. I noticed most auto rental companies close at 11 pm. So I am concerned about missing it...and of course rental company wont change rate if you miss a day. We are staying at Holiday Inn Airport. parking is $15 a day.

Question 1: are there any companies that are better or worse? We were thinking Thrifty.

Or we would be better off just using public transport shuttle or taxi.

I noticed one shuttle ONLY runs every 40 minutes that late.

I will be in Sydney before this. (but international) so it is possible I could get pre approved at the airport assuming the rental cars are at same terminal.

I would just go back to airport and get car next day...but then it would be a one day rental and the rental car firms are balking.

Question #2. We are flying out United Airlines. Even though we are going to Melbourne...is this in the International area (terminal)?

THANKS a MILLION for your responses.

We are coming to OZ for over six weeks and we appreciate having local knowledge.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving airport LATE NIGHT best car rental option

1. any of the majors...thrifty would be fine.

2. no...separate

3. taxi imo would be better.

do u really need a car in Sydney?

and why would rental companies baulk at a one day rental? that's quite common for business people.

"Question #2. We are flying out United Airlines. Even though we are going to Melbourne...is this in the International area (terminal)?"

I don't quite understand this.

if u r flying to Melbourne via Sydney from the usa on united then it is a continuing flight thru the international terminal. u do not leave the secure area. your immi/customs would be in Melbourne.

if u r breaking your flight in Sydney ie. leaving the airport I don't believe u can continue onto Melbourne on that international flight. u have to take a domestic connection.

assume u have your visas organized for Australia. many of your countrymen are surprized they need one.

Edited: 11 May 2013, 02:41
Central Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving airport LATE NIGHT best car rental option

Thanks.

We were going to drive to Pacific road, hence car.

This is one of THREE trips to Sydney on this vacation.

UH OH on the Sydney to Melbourne via United. Yes we are stopping off for a couple weeks. YIKES. Guess I'd better address this now. I'm trying to avoid any problems if I can help it. THANKS.

Thanks for the reminder on the visas....yes we got them.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving airport LATE NIGHT best car rental option

I am not 100% sure about the united Sydney to melbourne situation.

so maybe it's best to check it out with united.

and could u let us know.

we do have a smattering of domestic depatures from the international terminal with our own airlines but it is definitely not the norm. and the use of an international carrier for a completely separate domestic leg I have never heard of. but u never know!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,254 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving airport LATE NIGHT best car rental option

I'm guessing that you are a travel agent.

The ticketing will tell you whether your customers are booked on UA or with a domestic airline for the Sydney-Melbourne leg. As lien says, you might or might not be on UA for that leg if the flight was booked in the US. What does the eticket say?

The Australian government website for visas is: http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,565 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving airport LATE NIGHT best car rental option

I think I'm missing something.

You get in 2230hrs Saturday night, staying at Holiday Inn Airport.

1. How long you staying at Holiday Inn Airport?

2. If you're just staying overnight, why do you need to rent a car?

3. If its more than overnight, why choose an airport hotel, rather than in the CBD?

Central Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving airport LATE NIGHT best car rental option

It is because the airport closes...that the rental cars all close.

I read the airport closes, but never thought about it influencing my trip.

Sounds to me like the safest bet is to just book a shuttle with the airport hotel.

Then next day rent the car from the international terminal where it will be returned.

I am NOT going to CBD. I am doing Grand Pacific drive.

I am staying at Holiday Inn two nights. Need a car for Grand Pacific drive.

Since I fly in so late...I figured...staying near or south of airport made most sense.

I picked Holiday Inn because I have points for the stay.

There is an open skies agreement between Australia and the United States

I am a non-rev passenger....AND my flying is part of an international ticket

it is a continuation of my flight from LAX...and .... should be fine.

"there are stickers to indicate that you're on a domestic flight despite arriving at the international terminal. This lets you skip immigration and also deals with customs officials whose dogs are fascinated by the food in your bags."

Thanks for all the responses.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving airport LATE NIGHT best car rental option

thanks for the update.

very interesting about the continuing UA flight.

who would have known?

have a great trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
100 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving airport LATE NIGHT best car rental option

Hi,

For what it is worth here are my opinions, I hope they help.

You wont have any issues renting from the major car rental companies at the domestic and returning at the international airport, Iv'e done it with Hertz. Let the car rental company know your airline and flight so they can be there for you when you arrive. The airports are very close, just 5 mins from each other, so if a company is giving you grief, I would ring them to discuss.

If you are staying in the city, easiest way to your hotel etc is via taxi, costs around $A50. The airport hotels all have shuttles, just email them, but they are not in the best part of town, there is nothing around. If you arrive, even at 12pm in Sydney you will have a chance to see the harbour and have a drink near the opera house, Circular Quay is buzzing at that time. Keep your security wits around you though, as it will be late. Much better than staying at an airport hotel however.

A car in the city of Sydney is just a pest. Public transport and taxi is a much better option, but most things are a walk away, even for elderly people. You only need a car if you are intending to travel outside the city, if that is the case, spend a day or two walking Sydney, then get a transfer to the Syd. airport you are intending to return the car to, and pick up the car for a few days. $15 a day is very cheap for Sydney parking by the way, most of the hotels will charge at least $20+

Hope this helps, if not, just ask any more questions you need answers to.

Central Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving airport LATE NIGHT best car rental option

I am coming to Sydney three times in 6+ weeks. The first time I am going to Hilton CBD (via taxi) one night we arrive 7 am on a Friday. I Will probably take the free walking tour.at 10:30 or 1:30 (orientation) and we will visit Darling Harbour. The next day we are renting a car to go to the blue mountains four days (rented house). then back to "Sydney" Marriott Ryde one night (free night) and then boarding a cruise in Sydney OPT. Once on the ship we can tour downtown for a few hours. Might be a good time to walk the bridge. My concern is getting from rental car to OPT... I THINK I have rented a car from Westfield...which is close to the Hilton. Not sure if I can drop the spouse and bags of (and make my way back) or just turn in the car and get a taxi and just go together. My spouse is handicapped so he doesnt do much walking. Will try free 555 and monorail or whatever while in CBD.

We will be cruising top end...then we fly back to the Sydney airport.

Staying at Holiday Inn two nights, renting car, & plan to do the Great Pacific Drive.

The flight from Sydney to Melbourne...was a freebie. I originally was Flying to Auckland to catch the cruise..then I decided to add a second cruise....and add Melbourne. That left me with a flight segment so I did Melbourne.

After Great Pacific Drive, we fly to Melbourne for four days to do the Great Ocean drive, Shipwreck Coast and Grampians. Then we fly to Auckland for a cruise which ends up in Sydney.

After that cruise, we are staying at the Marriott Sydney Circular Quay one night ...and plan to do the ferry to Manly, etc.,

We will have a handicapped parking pass..but I do not plan to have a car while in Sydney...except to and from Blue Mountains and driving the Great Pacific Road. I have not figured out my visits in Blue Mountains or in Ryde. Around Sydney are open to places you can drive to and park easily. We will have a handicapped parking permit. I will walk more and leave the spouse part of the time. I have to decide what parks and places to visit. My husband likes twisty roads...we will try to do some scenic driving. Hey hope we stay on the correct side of the road.

In Blue Moutains the first full day (Sunday) I was thinking of Australian Pioneer Village, and then the scenic drive to the Botanic park. Would be interested in some towns out in no where if they are of interest. Not sure we will do the caves. I love waterfalls. I love kayaking too..but not in choppy water..and dodging ferries.

I like river kayaking.

My husband loves fish and chips..and Peking Duck..so we hope to enjoy those and some OZ food.

One concern is bourbon and cigarettes/cigars. Six weeks is a ton of time to get through and your limits are limiting.

Thanks for all the help.

Edited: 12 May 2013, 03:59
Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
646 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving airport LATE NIGHT best car rental option

i must be missing something -> failed geography - but what is the "Great Pacific Drive " - I notice that OP makes the distinction with Great Ocean Road - so I'm lost - is the OP referring to the Pacific Highway ?