We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best car rental in Sydney

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
The best car rental in Sydney

Hi! I'm from Malaysia and I'm coming to Sydney on 09/06/2013-16/06/2013 and was thinking to rent a car in Sydney coz my mum couldn't take the public transport due to her foot injury. We're coming in group of 6 adults, therefore the car that's available is limited. So far I've booked thru vroomvroomvroom but reading the reviews for the car rentals, it kind of make me worry. Many had bad experiences especially on the hidden charges (card being charged extra after few days returning the car). I know no car rentals can give perfect services but can anyone suggest or share your experience? Few years back I've rent a car thru Hertz at Gold Coast and didn't face any problems/no issues. But this time the type of car is not available thru Hertz. Thanks in advance for your comments and ideas.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best car rental in Sydney

I think it might be cheaper to have your mother take cabs rather than trying to negotiate the traffic and find parking in Sydney.

the others in the group can take turns travelling with her and meeting up at specific points after using public transport.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,854 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best car rental in Sydney

Another vote for taking cabs rather than hiring a car. There are plenty of taxi's available most of the time although late at night can be difficult in the CBD.

Any of the major rental car companies - Avis / Thrifty / Budget are all okay to use.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,256 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best car rental in Sydney

I think you'd be better off researching where you want to visit and what are the most suitable ways to get there, and perhaps people might have some hints and tips? Otherwise you could end up just adding to the difficulty of getting around by trying to drive and park in Sydney. So here's another vote for Lien's suggestion to use cabs.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,520 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best car rental in Sydney

+4 for cabs.

The cost of parking in and around the center of Sydney will exceed the cost of cabs within the same area - and that's before you even consider the cost of the rental.

The only time I would suggest renting a car is if you want to go out of the city - perhaps a day trip to the Blue Mountains.

My own car stays firmly locked in the garage if I'm heading for the city, Rocks, Darling Harbor or Circular Quay area.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best car rental in Sydney

I heard that parking at the Westin (for example) was $65/night. That, plus the cost of a car, would go a long way towards taxis.

Sydney
Level Contributor
72 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best car rental in Sydney

Yes, car parking is a dog in Sydney and can be more than the price of the rental car. So, as other posters have mentioned, you definitely need to factor that in. Having said that, I often rent from Bayswater Car Rentals http://www.bayswatercarrental.com.au in Kings Cross next to Avis. They only rent little white toyotas and are less expensive than the big boys particular for more than one day. Just make sure you take full insurance.

Sydney is nowadays easily accessible by public transport, walking & cabs unless you are heading out of the city & even then if you need a guide, car isn't the best option.

Hope this helps!

7. Re: The best car rental in Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 November 2013, 11:05
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,270 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The best car rental in Sydney

Hi,

Do you really live in Sydney?

And have you read the thread at all?

I'm only just asking because you're advertising an independent car rental company in PERTH. Does this company drop the car off in SYDNEY?

Edited: 08 November 2013, 10:52
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,147 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The best car rental in Sydney

What a totally incompetent advertisement.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The best car rental in Sydney

I am not here for advertisement as I offer the page because my parents lived there as providing information is no doubt good because they are valuable for every traveler point of view, but if i didn't share what happen to them as they lost.

""Does this company drop the car off in SYDNEY?""

Why not as such services are prepared to make human travel easy across the Country.