We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Mountains and Yulefest in 2 days?

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
Blue Mountains and Yulefest in 2 days?

Hi,

I will be in Sydney for 6 days in mid-June and wanted to use some time to explore the Blue Mountains. I would like to visit the typical spots (echo point, three sisters, Zig Zag Railway, Jenolan Caves, etc.) and also, since it is winter, I would like to celebrate Yulefest with at least some Christmas dinner and a good night stay.

What is the best way to do all these in 2 days?

I am considering 2 options:

1.)There is a 2 day tour that runs for $500, which is very pricey for me- it covers all the typical tourist spots plus 1 night stay at a hotel. I would guess I can walk around a celebrate Yulefest near the hotel. Of course, I will need to pay additional for good Christmas dinner.

2.)Option 2 will be buying my own bus tickets to Blue Mountains and find a hotel by myself also. I would assume this will be a cheaper method. But how am I suppose to travel between sights?

Do I need to rent a car? For example, is there bus from Jenolan Caves to Three sisters?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

p.s.

It will be my first time driving on the left side.

I don't intend this to be a hiking-focused trip, just wanted to visit the tourist sights and celebrate Yulefest.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,127 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Mountains and Yulefest in 2 days?

If you have a look at the FAQ's on the right hand side of this page there is a FAQ on visiting the Blue Mountains. There is information there on travel by public transport & hire car.

Orange, Australia
Level Contributor
154 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Mountains and Yulefest in 2 days?

FYI- Zig Zag Railway is closed and no longer in operation.

I wouldn't recommend driving on your own in the Blue Mountains, if it's your first time on the left. Roads can get quite narrow and close to cliffs in some areas. Public transport in the mountains is pretty limited, unless you're heading to/from Sydney, so I would recommend the tour.

HOWEVER - there is a Blue Mountains Explorer hop on hop off style bus - http://www.explorerbus.com.au/home.aspx - You would just need to catch the train to Katoomba station, where the bus picks you up.

Jenolan caves is a trip in itself - it's not on the above option, though a bus does run from Katoomba - jenolancaves.org.au/visitor-info/… and once you are there you can explore on your own. You'll probably need a full day here.

I'd recommend doing the HOHO bus 1 day, then Jenolan Caves the next . It'll be a busy 2 days, and you will need to book your hotel in advance.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,927 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Mountains and Yulefest in 2 days?

Yulefest is 'celebrated' with xmas dinner in a number of hotels & guesthouses - you will need to book ahead particularly if you are planning to be there on a Saturday night. Unless things have changed drastically in the last few years it's not like you are going to see xmas decorations everywhere and can just wander round and admire them.

check this site out for more yukefest info bluemts.com.au/things-to-do/yulefest-2013/

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Mountains and Yulefest in 2 days?

yuletide in the blue mountain's is their tourism dept's invention

and really yulefest is something for romantics and immigrants from the northern hemisphere who think christmas should be cold.

australian christmases are hot....that's the way it is. and the way most of us like it. and for the generation who watched their mothers trying to produce northern hemisphere christmas dinners in 100 + degree kitchens we have modified our christmas eating habits accordingly.

so coming from new york I would think u would find yuletide in aus a very poor imitation of the 'real thing' or maybe just an amusing novelty. it certainly isn't australian in any way.

enjoy the natural beauty of the mountains themselves rather than any synthetic hoopla.

5. Re: Blue Mountains and Yulefest in 2 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2014, 06:17