We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget accomodation in Sydney plus a few questions

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Budget accomodation in Sydney plus a few questions

Hello there :)

I would like to ask you all a few questions:

We are a couple and we will be going to Australia for 2 weeks in the first half of July, will be in Sydney on two occasions, around 3 days each (in the meantime we will spend around a week in Cairns). I have the following questions:

- would you know about any budget accomodation that is not very noisy and is not only for young people looking for parties? We do not mind a shared room but we would like to get at least some sleep ;)

- is there a pass for the public transport valid for 3 or 4 days, instead of 7, or valid for 2 people?

- which beach would you recommend us to visit at this time of the year (I believe there will be around 15 degrees celsius), not too far out from the city, where it is nice to go for a walk?

- would you have any good bicycle - hire company in mind?

Thanks a lot in advance :-)

Bea

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget accomodation in Sydney plus a few questions

Manly beach is probably the easiest one to get to plus you get to go on the ferry!

A day pass costs $22 and a MyMulti1 weekly pass costs $44 so if you are planning on using public transport for 3/4 days its much cheaper to buy the MyMulti1 pass. Even if you got the MyMulti3 ($61) pass you are still saving money.

I'll let others recommend accommodation but have you considered booking a private room in a hostel? A bit more expensive than a dorm but at least you will get a better nights sleep.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,114 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget accomodation in Sydney plus a few questions

Betty have you had a look at the FAQ's on the right hand side of this page? There is a FAQ on public transport + one headed "accommodation - best area to stay" which talks about budget accommodation as well.

This July is going to be very busy with a few big things on over a couple of weekends (including the Lions Rugby tour) so hopefully your dates in Sydney are not the same weekend/s.

What is your budget pn?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,589 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget accomodation in Sydney plus a few questions

The YHA Sydney Harbour is a great hostel in a great location close to Circular Quay, Harbour Bridge, Opera House. They have private rooms which are a bit more expensive than the dorms so check the rates.

…yha.com.au/hostels/…

Or to look for budget hotels look at www.wotif.com and then cross check with the hotels' own website to see if the rates are better.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget accomodation in Sydney plus a few questions

Hi Betty, what is your budget for your accommodation?

Edited: 26 May 2013, 09:42
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget accomodation in Sydney plus a few questions

Hello All,

Thanks a lot for your answers :)

We will be doing a RTW trip so our budget is quite low: for accommodation we would like to spend around AUD 15 per person per night if it is possible, the hostel does not have to be in the central area of course. I have looked at wotif and YHA too, too expensive for us, in the meantime I am looking at the FAQs.

In another post I asked about a reliable shuttle bus company what we could use to get to the domestic airport at 4 am, however I was told that it did not exist... it is quite strange, in case anyone of you has anything in mind could you please let me know?

Another question: does anyone know about a discount card for transport, museums and tours for Sydney and Cairns, or something that includes both cities?

Thanks again :)

Bea

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget accomodation in Sydney plus a few questions

"In another post I asked about a reliable shuttle bus company what we could use to get to the domestic airport at 4 am, however I was told that it did not exist... it is quite strange, in case anyone of you has anything in mind could you please let me know?"

u stated "reliable shuttles"/

while there are shuttles available not many here would consider any of them reliable... esp at that hour.

so it was suggested u take a cab.

shuttle costs around $14pp.

train around $16pp

cab around $35 at that time of the morning.

I know which one i would be choosing.

as for the $A15/night accommo I will let someone else deal with that.

Edited: 26 May 2013, 21:57
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,114 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget accomodation in Sydney plus a few questions

$15 pn is really only going to get you a bed in a hostel dorm, try http://www.hostelworld.com/hostels/Sydney

No discount cards for transport in Sydney, but you may be able to use the free city 555 bus for some of your travel around the city. sydneybuses.info/free-shuttles/free-shuttle-…

There are a couple of free walking tours you can take tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255060-c164694/Sydne…

Englewood, Florida
Level Contributor
468 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget accomodation in Sydney plus a few questions

$15pp for lodging is extremely low. You might have to up that.

Sydney
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget accomodation in Sydney plus a few questions

Hi

With best respects, $15 per night is far too low a budget for a large world city - it is literally impossible for people to own a property and run it for that price (electricity, water, staff, linen etc). The only hostels you will find at this price should be looked at with caution - check both the location (you could spend more on transport than staying at a better place) and reviews on a number of sites (other guests will quickly tell you what the place is like).

Good luck.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,566 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget accomodation in Sydney plus a few questions

Hi Bea,

The fact is that $30 night is not going to buy you acceptable private accommodation for 2 in a central location in Sydney any more than it would in NYC or London. That's a "doss house" rate here and I would be very cautious about staying anywhere that offered it.

You need to increase your budget to a realistic level for Sydney. www.wotif.com.au shows Springfield Lodge and its sister property, Macleay Lodge in Potts Point (Kings Cross) at around $85 for a room in mid July. Springfield has ensuite bathrooms, not sure about Macleay.

You might also have a look at Air bnb. Sydney City should be your target area, with surrounding suburbs such as Ultimo, Newtown, Marrickville, Stanmore, Glebe, Tempe, Darlinghurst, Potts Point, Surry Hills, Waterloo, being some of the others within a reasonable distance from the CBD (Central Business District/ "Downtown"). Also include Milsons Point, Kirribilli, Neutral Bay, Crows Nest, McMahons Point, which are only a few minutes ferry/ bus or train trip across the harbour.

https:/…

As you are only here for 3 days each time, it doesn't make too much sense to me to sacrifice too much in $/time travelling from your lodgings to the places you want to see. OTOH, it can be a pleasant experience and cheaper to stay in a residential , rather than traditional tourist areas. As others have said, July is a busy month in Sydney, so your dates here may have an influence on availability & rates.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but if a bunch of locals tell you that "reliable shuttles" is an oxymoron in Sydney; you may as well believe them.

It may be difficult to understand - but it's our experience, unfortunately. Shuttles are unreliable and often end up more expensive than a taxi, particularly if you're going to somewhere in the CBD or nearby suburb.

Edited: 27 May 2013, 07:31