We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are restaurant bookings required?

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
321 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Are restaurant bookings required?

Hi. We're coming over to Sydney this weekend which happens to coincide with VIVID - yay. It will obviously be busier than usual so would I be wise to plan ahead and make some restaurant bookings? Not looking to eat anywhere fancy/expensive, but run of the mill establishments like the Australian Hotel, Chinta Ria, Customs House Bar & anywhere else locals here would like to recommend in the downtown area. (There are four of us including 2 teens & I consider $30 or less for a main to be in my budget).

Thanks in advance.

(4 more days of work to go.....)

nzers

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,844 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are restaurant bookings required?

I'd book for Chinta Ria.

Australian maybe, depends on how flexible you are as to where you sit and what time you intend to get there.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,154 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are restaurant bookings required?

My only comment is that Chinta Ria (its in Cockle Bay near King St) is a bit of walk from Vivid. The light walk starts in Hickson Rd and then goes around to the Rocks/Opera House.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,351 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are restaurant bookings required?

My general rule of thumb is, if you _really_ want to eat/stay/visit/whatever a particular place, then book. No harm is done if you book and find that you're the only ones in the place. On the other hand, if you don't book and it's full..............

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,348 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are restaurant bookings required?

Isn't there a Chinta Ria at Westfields now? I think it's on level 6 Westfields Pitt St

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are restaurant bookings required?

I've had too many evenings spoiled by popping into a favorite local suburban restaurant on a Tuesday night expecting to get a table only to be disappointed because I hadn't booked. Not all restaurants take bookings in Sydney ( some sort of convoluted snobbery that says "we're too cool to take bookings") but put your mind at rest by knowing when you turn up there will be a table waiting for you by making a booking if you can.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are restaurant bookings required?

be aware of booking fees, cc number requirement for holding and charges for not turning up.

all part of the Sydney restaurant scene these days.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are restaurant bookings required?

Gosh lien, where do you eat? I've never encountered any of these.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,844 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are restaurant bookings required?

More and more common Eva

news.com.au/national-news/restaurants-hit-di…

and yes that's an old story

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,844 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are restaurant bookings required?

>Not all restaurants take bookings in Sydney ( some sort of convoluted snobbery that says "we're too cool to take bookings") <<

That's not restricted to Sydney and it is about making sure you have full tables. Many melbourne restaurants do it too..Mamasita, Cumulus etc

10. Re: Are restaurant bookings required?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2014, 06:17