We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice place for Tea for one close to Circular Quay (Wharf 5)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Nice place for Tea for one close to Circular Quay (Wharf 5)

Coming on a trip to Sydney with my elderly (well into their 70's) parents at the end of September. My husband and I, two teenagers and my dad are all going on the Tall Ship tour from Circular Quay. My mum, bless her, didn't want to come as she is convinced she'll be sea sick. So we what to pop her down somewhere near by where she can have a nice pot of tea, maybe a sandwich and read, ideally being able to see the harbour.

Both my parents can probably only manage 0.5 - 0.75km walking so we don't want somewhere too far away. Plus we'd have to take her there settle her down before heading off for our trip.. My parents live in the UK and have nver been to Sydney before so wanting to make it a bit special for them, I need to get in there and pay up front for my mum's tea and food so that she doesn't have to worry about that either. So if there is anywhere that has a set high tea that would be great.

I did see on here that the Park Hyatt did one, which would have been perfect except for the walking to and from bit (It shows up as 1k on google maps and she'd find that a bit too much).

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Park Hyatt Sydney
Park Hyatt Sydney
2,738 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Rob's Tour
Sightseeing Tours
Blue Ribbon Day Tours - Blue Mountain Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,126 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice place for Tea for one close to Circular Quay (Wharf 5)

The first place that sprung to mind for me was the park Hyatt.

Another option may be the Intercontinental

I have to admit I've never really sat in the lobby areas of the Marriot.

Four Season is more bar oriented now. They do coffee/tea pastries at the woods before 12..

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,851 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice place for Tea for one close to Circular Quay (Wharf 5)

For a different idea, is your mum averse to the idea of anti-seasickness medication? I get horribly seasick and find Kwells extremely effective. Just take 30 minutes before sailing.

It seems a pity to miss out on what could be a wonderful and unique experience (as well as sitting on your Pat Malone even in sumptuous surroundings while everyone else goes off to have a great time).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,720 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice place for Tea for one close to Circular Quay (Wharf 5)

Does the tour go from Campbell Cove (Sydney Harbour Tall Ships ) ? Then this is right in front of the Park Hyatt hotel. Or is it wharf 5 (are you sure on that as this normally ferries only) ?

Edited: 28 May 2013, 08:26
Mentioned in this post
Park Hyatt Sydney
Park Hyatt Sydney
2,738 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,126 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice place for Tea for one close to Circular Quay (Wharf 5)

TRue Dk, that was my first thought but then I suspected coming in on the train/ferry?

Edited: 28 May 2013, 08:28
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,268 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice place for Tea for one close to Circular Quay (Wharf 5)

What about the MCA? Fabulous views from their cafe or restaurant

mca.com.au/visit/mca-cafe-sculpture-terrace/

A window table (or outside if it's a nice day) at Cafe Sydney http://www.cafesydney.com/about/

Sydney Cove Oyster Bar http://sydneycoveoysterbar.com/ Or the Cafe next to it on the Opera House side, whose name escapes me at the moment.

None of these does "High Tea" as far as I know, but would seem to fit your criteria of somewhere your Mother could have tea & something casual to eat.

Optimum would be the Park Hyatt and definitely tick the "Special occasion" box. If it's a bit far for your Mother to walk, why not get a cab down there? There's a rank outside Circular Quay. Next on my list would probably be the MCA.

If you can convince her to try a Kwels, Ginger Tablets or other seasickness stopper, your Mother would probably have a ball on the Tall Ship. OTOH, if she's like one of my friends and who gets the heebie jeebies on anything smaller than the QE2, she may well prefer to stay ashore with a good book & a pot of Earl Grey.

Mentioned in this post
Cafe Sydney
Cafe Sydney
3,465 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Park Hyatt Sydney
Park Hyatt Sydney
2,738 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,126 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice place for Tea for one close to Circular Quay (Wharf 5)

MCA is a bit Coles Cafeteria IMHO (on the view level not the restaurant..they wont do tea)

Portabello is as far as the Hyatt (cafe beside Oyster Bar)

Taxi to the Langham? You can walk up through Obs Park

Mentioned in this post
The Langham, Sydney
The Langham, Sydney
2,011 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,126 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice place for Tea for one close to Circular Quay (Wharf 5)

Oh and as they informed cafe sydney does NOT do tables for one on the veranda

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,742 posts
1,692 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice place for Tea for one close to Circular Quay (Wharf 5)

Another option is the Sir Stamford Hotel at Circular Quay it does a nice high tea & is located just up the road from the Opera House. Unfortunately it doesn't have a view.

stamford.com.au/sscq/…sydney-high-tea

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
312 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice place for Tea for one close to Circular Quay (Wharf 5)

Not "high tea" but a perfect spot to sit, watch and enjoy would be Opera Bar. I know they serve lunch and dinner, so I'm sure they'd also serve coffee and tea that your mum could get! It's one of my fave places in the world and the best to just relax and enjoy the views! :) (my profile pic is actually me at Opera Bar, enjoying a glass of bubbly on my first afternoon in Sydney when I was there!)

http://www.operabar.com.au/home

~ martinigoddess

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice place for Tea for one close to Circular Quay (Wharf 5)

Yes I know, but she says they never work for her and that she'd be quite happy on her own. Such a shame.