We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family accommodation in and around darling harbour

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Family accommodation in and around darling harbour

Hello,

We are a family of 5 looking at coming to sydney 8th November for 3 nights.

Any families out there that can recommend some great budget family accommodation in or close by darling harbour?

I have looked at the vide hotel, park royal and quest world square.

They are all a little pricey but understand everything is up and around that area.

My other question is, am I better off booking something closer to the date for better price and run the risk of not being able to find something or book far in advance?

I understand the rule of thumb so to speak, flights are normally cheaper the further in advance you book where as accommodation can be cheaper closer to the date?, any experienced sydney travellers out there that maybe able to help.

Thanking you in advance for your feedback and help.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,210 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family accommodation in and around darling harbour

>>>I understand the rule of thumb so to speak, flights are normally cheaper the further in advance you book where as accommodation can be cheaper closer to the date<<<

You've got the first part right, but more often than not, the second part is quite the opposite. Whilst during the low season, there are last minute discounts to be found, the usual is the same as the airlines - the earlier you book, the more likely it's cheaper. In addition to this, November is one of the three busiest months in Sydney, so I would highly suggest you book earlier than later.

It really comes down to actual specifics of your budget, but if you wish to definitely stay around the Darling Harbour precinct, perhaps somewhere like Woolbroker lodge/hostel maybe suitable. They have family rooms at lower rates than the typical hotels in the area.

Alternately, apartment properties such as the Meriton and Medina are often recommended. The rates for your stay will be dictated heavily by the fact it's November.

Check on sites such as www.wotif.com and www.Booking.com

Edited: 10 June 2013, 13:10
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family accommodation in and around darling harbour

Thank you,

I will have a look at the merit on and medina.

I would feel so much better booking something sooner than later.

Thanking you again for your help

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family accommodation in and around darling harbour

Hyde Park Inn offers some reasonable rates, so, they may be worth looking at. Also, Hotel Stellar might be another one. Darling Harbour will not be as expensive as those around Sydney Harbour, but, I would not restrict yourself to those around Darling Harbour. There is a free 555 bus that takes a rectangular route around the city. While it doesn't stop at Darling Harbour, you can get off at Chinatown and walk over, etc., so, there is no real need to stay in one particular location.

I would not bother with Meriton (even though I love their propeties!). If you consider the Vibe and Quest to be pricey, then, Meriton will often be a lot more expensive (in general, anyway!), but, I guess, it depends on exact dates and their rates (and whether any specials are on, etc.).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family accommodation in and around darling harbour

Hello,

I have just contacted hyde park inn and they were great, think I will go with that one.

Thanks so much, gets a little hard finding something for 5 people with the price right!!

Many thanks again for your help

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family accommodation in and around darling harbour

I love their location, and also, the fact they give some free extras which not all hotels give (e.g. free parking - Never heard of free parking before, at least, not in Sydney CBD! Also, free newspaper, free continental breakfast pack - a bit of light breakfast for each person, and free wi-fi).

Hope you enjoy your time in Sydney! :)

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
25 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family accommodation in and around darling harbour

Hello KVE1005,

We are staying in Sydney from the 23th till the 26th of October in Sydney, would you also consider that as one of the busiest months in Sydney? And do you know the situation in Melbourne? We want to stay there afterwards.

Thanks for your reply!

Maaike

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,210 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family accommodation in and around darling harbour

Hi Maaike,,

Yes that would be correct, in Sydney, the months of March, October and November are traditionally the busiest. The statistics are quite similar in Melbourne also, with the inclusion of Mid January together with March due to special events, as well as October and November. In a direct reflection to the occupancy, hotel rates are the highest during this period. Melbourne is slightly cheaper than Sydney, but not by much.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,210 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family accommodation in and around darling harbour

Late add,

If you haven't booked accommodation already for October, I would do so reasonably quickly, especially for the 'weekend' dates of Friday and Saturday nights - which in your case is the 25th October.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
25 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family accommodation in and around darling harbour

Hi KVE1005,

May be some good real budget options for us? Let's say: 80 AUD per room per night?

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards,

Maaike

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,210 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family accommodation in and around darling harbour

Hi,

I would say at that budget range, you would be looking more towards hostels or YHA.

To give you an indication of prices, during peak occupancy periods, Sydney is considered to be in the Top 10 most expensive in the world for accommodation prices (ranging from 2 Star to 5 Star).

If you're wishing to stick to a tight budget, YHA's are a great option, alternately you may have to look to outer suburban areas for lodging, rather than the centre of the city.

Edited: 19 June 2013, 20:53