We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day safari tours from Sydney?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
One day safari tours from Sydney?

Dear all,

I'll be spending a couple of days in Syndey in two weeks, so I was researching how I could spent my days. I came across this safari tour boutiquetoursaustralia.com.au/our-tours/… which has good review in TA. You spent an afternoon and the evening looking for the wild animals in the bush.

Does anybody knows of any other companies who offer this concept?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day safari tours from Sydney?

wow....expensive.

u could probably rent a car for the day and visit one of the national parks in the Sydney region and find just as many animals.

but then again I suppose u have to know 'how' to look.

just be aware that Australian native animals are most active at dawn and dusk.

and this time of year most of the reptiles are hibernating so no goannas, snakes etc.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day safari tours from Sydney?

I just had a look at a few local websites for the Southern Highlands. I think your chances of seeing Koalas in the wild are pretty low. Most Australians have never seen a wild koala. Platypus maybe sighted at Wingecarribee River, near Berrima. Koala in Morton National Park and emus at a farm at Joadja. Monotremes and marsupials are probably assured to be seen in a zoo. So just beware of the fact that they can't really guarantee sightings of the very elusive koala.

Check this site out for possible other operators to do a comparison. If you do see koala on your trip please let us know.

…nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkDriving.aspx…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day safari tours from Sydney?

I would just buy a ticket on the ferry at circular quay and head over to the zoo. That tour is ridiculously expensive and they can't guarantee that you will see all those in the one trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day safari tours from Sydney?

I would hardly call this a safari. As to seeing an Emu in the Southern Highlands; I don't think so. These are plains animals as are the large kangaroos. Seeing platypus and koala in th wild is very difficult allthough quite possible in the Southern Highlands if you know where to go to.

A much more comfortable way to see all of these animals is a visit to Taronga Park zoo.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,432 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day safari tours from Sydney?

The website says search for....

That being said I have seen an Emu (male with his chicks) in the wild on the plains near the caves. The Southern Highland birdwatch record say this is rare... no doubt it is.

I have also been fortunate enough to see Koala's in the park when doing an overnight walk, so it is possible and given the Koalas don't go very far if the guides know where , well..

Certainly plenty of roos and wombats in the area.

However i personally think it is a very expensive trip to maybe sight the Big 5 (OOOhhh have we moved to Africa?)

If you have the $$ and want a nice night time trip out of the city and are willing to risk not seeing all of them go for it. Stars are pretty good on a clear night too

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day safari tours from Sydney?

$250! Ouch!

The food would want to be special.

Leaving at that time of day you'd be getting just a few hours of daylight. Presumably the guides will be doing a bit of spotlighting. Remember, most of our 'big 5' aren't that big so I'm not sure how much you will see of a koala tucked away high up in a tree after dark, even with a light on it. And how they can promise to show you the elusive platypus I don't know.

With that kind of money to blow I would prefer to do the 'Roar'n'Snore' at Taronga Zoo.

Granger, IN
Level Contributor
306 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day safari tours from Sydney?

My husband and I are considering this tour also. I read every review on Tripadvisor for this company, and every person who went on the Wildlife tour rated it the highest rating. (There were only about 7-8). The main thing that I would like to see in Australia is kangaroos in the wild. We considered driving to Pebbly Beach, but will probably do this tour instead.

Yes, there is some spotlighting involved at night.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day safari tours from Sydney?

no need to go to pebbly beach to see 'roos.

jervis bay is as far as u need to go on the south coast. they are all over the golf course.

or a little further on to my area. 100's of the pests around here ;-)

the pebbly beach 'roo situation is a shoalhaven council tourist dept beat up.

ok, they are there. but they are not wild in the true sense. they are very tourist savvy. and can be quite aggressive demanding food. and they never ever go into the ocean.

Granger, IN
Level Contributor
306 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day safari tours from Sydney?

Jervis Bay? We considered going there, too. Didn't read much about kangaroos there, though. Where would we look? I know that it's best at dawn and dusk. I'm assuming that a golf course doesn't want people traipsing around looking for kangaroos.??

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
24 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day safari tours from Sydney?

@ Lien: the tour operates mostly at dusk, so that is a plus… I’m not really into driving around (solo) at dusk/night, but thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks for the link Carlol S, there doesn't seem to be any other tour operator who offers something similar.

@Christianmom5: when are you planning on taking this tour (if you take it?) I read all of the reports as well, everyone was so positive, although they didn’t see all the animals…

I know they can't guarantee to see all of animals, but there is a good chance on seeing quite some species…

I know the Tarongo zoo is very high praised, but I’m only interested in seeing native animals. That said, I think I’ll be taking a tour to the Blue mountains with Featherdale Wildlife Park included, so I’ll be seeing ‘domesticated’ Koala’s and kangaroos already and in read that you can see a platypus in the Aquarium… so it is not really about just seeing the animals, but about the experience also… I keep tossing it around in my mind: 250 for the experience is expensive (that’s a couple of days work haha), but on the other hand, I don’t know if/when I’ll have the chance of visiting Australia again (It’s a long flight coming from Belgium, and there are other countries I still want to visit…)

Perhaps I should wait till I’m in Sydney, see if I prefer to spent the day in the city (I’ll be spending 6, 5 days in Sydney of which 3 in a convention) and check out the weather also… a trip like that when it rains probably isn’t very nice

Is there any other ‘unique’ experience you would advise? (No zoo, I’m already planning on going to the Blue mountains and would like to do the Bondi to Cogee beach walk (hope on spotting whales)) – I’m a big ‘nature’ lover, as I’m quite happy with the culture offer in my home country. I do am interested in the aboriginal history, and was considering (instead of this ‘safari’) of going to La Perouse ?