We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Mountain Help

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mckinney
2 posts
Save Topic
Blue Mountain Help

Hello everyone!

My husband and I will be in Sydney next week and we are taking a day trip to the Blue Mountains. We want to go to Scenic World. We are going to be taking City Rail. Can you tell me step by step instructions on how to do this so I can make sure we aren't wasting any precious time? What time would you suggest we leave in order to make sure we have enough time and are not in a rush. The last thing I want to do is to miss the train or something crazy like that.

Thank you SO much!

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Mountain Help

Hi Kylee,

Not sure if this fits into your definition of step-by-step, but basically:

- Get your train ticket in advance if you can. If you are going to be travelling in Sydney extensively, I suggest you buy the weekly MyMulti3 pass. That gets you on all buses, ferries, and also train trips up to Blue Mountain.

If you just need transport for that Blue mountain trip itself (i.e train ticket to and from Sydney), then it's cheaper to just buy single ticket.

- If you are going on the weekend, then I suggest you try to get there by 9:30 at the very latest..

I'm not sure how crowded it is seeing as the weather is colder and all, but it was really crowded at the scenic world when I went in April on a Saturday. So you want to get there early to do the rides, and still have the rest of the day to check out the other parts of blue mountain.

You can check the train timetable here:

http://www.131500.com.au/

- Get off the train at Katoomba .. When you go out the exit, you will see the trolley shoppe right on the street at the exit. Easiest if you just get a combination ticket that gets you on the bus that brings you around Blue mountain (all day hop-on hop-off), as well as rides on the scenic world.

- When you get to the scenic world itself, I think it doesn't really matter the order that you take the rides. However, I'd suggest skipping the scenic walk because there are other parts of the blue mountain that offers much better view, such as the hike to Leura cascades

The thing about Blue Mountain is, you don't have to worry too much about missing trains.. the train back to the city runs about every 30 minutes to an hour, until pretty late. If you miss the train, hang around at one of the cafe to wait for the next one.

Where you'll probably spend most time is waiting for the buses to get you to the various spots, so be sure to look at the bus timetable that you'll get when you buy the ticket, and try to minimise the waiting time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Mountain Help

The trains depart from Central every hour from 9.09am at 9 minutes past the hour. At weekends it is 18 minutes past the hour.

You can purchase an Explorer ticket wich includes the hop-on hop-off bus in Katoomba from any railway station.

At this time of year you should have warm clothes. It can get mighty cool. Katoomba is over 3,300ft above sea level.

Mckinney
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Mountain Help

Thank you both! That is the exact information I was needing.

Katoomba, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Mountain Help

Make sure you wear sensible shoes and take a big warm jacket, raincoat. Hint, there is a café in main Katoomba st called Unique Pattiserie, you should try their cakes, just amazing!!

5. Re: Blue Mountain Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 05:16