We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from Airport to Sir Stamford

Maui
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi from Airport to Sir Stamford

Been reading posts regarding best route to take. Should I tell the driver to take Botany Road and not the Eastern Dist. Motorway?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,010 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from Airport to Sir Stamford

To Sir Stamford, I'd take Eastern Distributor. The toll fee would be less than what youll meter, with traffic coming into Elizabeth from the southern end, then through the CBD.

Edited: 19 June 2013, 01:45
Maui
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from Airport to Sir Stamford

Thanks KVE......I should have mentioned that my flight arrives on Sunday at 7:30 pm.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,010 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from Airport to Sir Stamford

Ah ok.

I'd say it'll be pretty similar in price at that time on a Sunday night. The end of the Eastern Distributor exits directly onto Macquarie Street - that's the plus.

On the other hand, traffic should be almost non existent coming via O'Riordan St, then eventually into Elizabeth into the CBD.

Yeah much of a muchness.

Edited: 19 June 2013, 01:53
Maui
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from Airport to Sir Stamford

Guess I'll leave it up to the driver. Thanks.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi from Airport to Sir Stamford

Worse case, same price. Best case, save nearly $10 by avoiding the $6.00 in tolls, and a couple of kilometres in distance.

Leave it to the driver, and they'll go the Eastern Distributor every time. They are interested in their payrate per hour, when taxis are mainly charged by distance.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi from Airport to Sir Stamford

@inas66 is correct. Drivers will even convince u 2 take Eastern Distributor cos it is "faster". Just be firm and insist on Redfern/O'Riordan route.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,817 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi from Airport to Sir Stamford

Eastern Distributor. Much quicker to Sir Stamford from the airport.

It's a straight run & nothing to be gained at that time by going through the less than glamorous streets of Mascot & Botany as your entry to Sydney

Edited: 19 June 2013, 04:52
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi from Airport to Sir Stamford

I have a cabbie friend who would find this thread amusing. He alays recommends O'Riordan St because its closer and most of his passengers insist on him on taking the ED because they think its quicker😃.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi from Airport to Sir Stamford

The shortest and cheapest route from the airport would probably take you straight through the heart of the city and some of its inner suburbs, industrial and otherwise.

The fastest and glamorous route (where glamorous means generic freeway and tunnel where you could be anywhere on the planet') goes via the ED.

It's probably the most advice ever given to someone over how to possibly save $8 in a taxi, so decide wisely.

Personally, I'll be the one on the sidewalk dragging my bags to Mascot station to save on the taxi fare and the airport surcharge.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,010 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi from Airport to Sir Stamford

Most fair observations from all of the above.

The deciding factor for me personally would be where I just flew in from. If I were getting off a 20+ hour flight, I would not be messing about with any $5-10 price difference. I'd just want to get from point A to point B asap.