We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Blue Mountains Long Weekend

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Blue Mountains Long Weekend

Thought I'd post this on the Sydney forum as not many people seem to go to the specific Blue Mountains one. Hope it's useful, cheers :)

Friday

Left work early, flew to Sydney then train from the airport out to Windsor to visit my brother.

Saturday

Breakfast out with family then picked up our hire car at Richmond and headed off west. Took the scenic route via Bells Line of Road. Detoured to Mt Wilson (which I knew nothing about until I saw it mentioned on TA - thankyou!), which was beautiful with quite a lot of autumn colour still around, definitely worth a look.

Then as we drove through Blackheath I saw the sign for Govetts Leap and turned off, without really knowing what to expect. Good move! Maybe it was the dull overcast weather or maybe that it was after 3pm when we got there but we were surprised there weren't more people around on a long weekend. What dramatic scenery, even just a few steps from the car park. We also did a couple of short walks to get some different views. Loved the waterfalls too.

Sunset was approaching as we reached Katoomba so decided to stop at Echo Point to get the classic Three Sisters shot but unfortunately there wasn't much colour in the sky. Headed off to our accommodation in Leura.

Sunday

Decided to visit Scenic World this morning. Based on TA reviews we got there fairly early to beat the day trippers and avoid the queues. So glad we did that as we got straight onto each "ride" but the queues were long by the time we left - not to mention the queue at the front door to get in which went all the way back to the carpark! I think it was worth doing as the cable cars give you a different view on things but I certainly wouldn't bother going back again as it was the busiest place on our trip and not any more scenically impressive. Not sure I'd recommend it to anyone unless they could get there early, although I accept you're limited when you don't have a car.

Wanted to get away from Katoomba as there were just so many people there. Drove past (but didn't stop) at Echo Point and it was just swarming! Did the Blue Mountains Scenic Drive and stopped at a few lookouts along the way back to Leura.

Went to the Leura Cascades, which was a great spot. Did the cascades walk and probably spent an hour or so there as we kept stopping to take photos and gaze at the views. Fabulous spot if you want to improve your "milky waterfall" photography skills as there are the cascades and full size waterfalls. Would also be a great walk on a hot day as it's fairly sheltered. Back in the car we headed off for one last stop at Gordon Falls. Was another great view but unfortunately the falls themselves were barely trickling.

That was pretty much it as we flew out from Sydney early Monday afternoon.

There's loads to do and see in the area and we could have easily filled another couple of days (would particularly like to visit the Jenolan Caves) but I'd imagine it's hard to see much apart from Katoomba unless you have your own transport. Definitely worth staying at least a night if you have the time.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
Katoomba
Katoomba
Blue Mountains, Australia
Leura
Leura
Jenolan Caves
Jenolan Caves
1,619 Reviews
Jenolan Caves, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,206 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Blue Mountains Long Weekend

Thanks for a great report, glad you enjoyed your visit! It is always a good idea to avoid the BM's on a sunday IMHO!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,224 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Blue Mountains Long Weekend

We are intending to do the HOHO one day circuit in July weather permitting. We are intending to be in Katoomba around 9.30 in the morning and go straight to Scenic World. Is this too late to avoid early queues

Mentioned in this post
Katoomba
Katoomba
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,206 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Blue Mountains Long Weekend

Scenic world opens at 9am, 9.30 shouldn't be too bad on a sunday. It will depend a bit on the weather too, locals wont go so much if it's raining or foggy.

Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,999 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Blue Mountains Long Weekend

We are intending to do the HOHO one day circuit in July weather permitting

---------------------------------------------

School Holidays start this weekend.

I have been to Katoomba in school Holdays and outside school holidays. It is definitely busier in school holidays.

So, If you mean the first 2 weeks of July, you might find it very busy. If you can go say 3 weeks from today, you might find no queues at all.

Mentioned in this post
Katoomba
Katoomba
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,224 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Blue Mountains Long Weekend

We will be going, if at all, on 21 July after the Manchester United footy match. It is a Sunday. We will make a call probably on the way home from the footy regarding the weather.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,665 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Blue Mountains Long Weekend

Nice report. This would be good for people asking questions about self drive to the BMs.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,083 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Blue Mountains Long Weekend

Thanks for taking the time to do a great report, we've been talking about doing a Blue Mountains weekend ourselves so this is useful.

Mentioned in this post
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Blue Mountains Long Weekend

I learn so much from reading the forums here so its good to contribute something back. Happy to answer questions:)

9. Re: Trip Report - Blue Mountains Long Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 05:17