We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend side trips from Sydney with kids

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Topic
Weekend side trips from Sydney with kids

Hi,

I'll be in Sydney for three weeks in August for a business trip with my kids (7 and 5). I plan to take either Friday or Monday off and go for a 3-day long weekend trip outside of Sydney. Any suggestions? I won't be driving (just not comfortable about driving the other side of the road) so it'll be either train or bus trip. Any place with good activities for kids will be great.

Or do you think it is a good idea to visit New Zealand for the weekend?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,591 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Weekend side trips from Sydney with kids

>>>Whatever you do, don't go to Canberra! You'll be bored out of your minds<<<

Please.

Silly silly comment.

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
36 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Weekend side trips from Sydney with kids

Ok, go to Canberra. See for yourself.

23. Re: Weekend side trips from Sydney with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 July 2013, 21:35
24. Re: Weekend side trips from Sydney with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 July 2013, 21:35
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Weekend side trips from Sydney with kids

Ask any kid and they will say. Questacon is brilliant with lots of hands on things. Gold coast theme parks would also be high on any kid's list. Don't forget Sydney itself has plenty to offer though. The zoo is wonderful, the aquarium at Darling Harbour, the beach is a great place to play (even in winter as long as it's a nice day) and my boys used to love riding around on the ferries all afternoon when they were young. The state ferries do a relatively inexpensive harbour tour (in comparison to private operators)which is interesting for parents too. Koala Park at West Pennant Hills is a great place to get up close and personal with a koala. Just a small venue, but none the less a good place for kids.

If you definitely want to leave the city. Gold Coast would be my pick. There is good bus transport to Seaworld, Dreamworld Movieworld. and my husband and I always felt it was good value because the kids had a great time which meant we weren't stressed. it's tiring though.

Mentioned in this post
Darling Harbour
Darling Harbour
9,277 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Weekend side trips from Sydney with kids

+1 for Questacon if you are thinking of heading to Canberra. I would personally fly and hire a car there if you are not too keen on much driving. Canberra is pretty laid back too, just make sure you have a GPS.

The Gold Coast is also great for kids for a long weekend, and I would do the same, fly and hire a car, its not totally necessary but a lot more convenient.

Mentioned in this post
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
474 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Weekend side trips from Sydney with kids

Hi,

Sydney itself has lots for kids to do - the Museum is very interesting, you can take a ferry across to Manly and explore there, including doing to the aquarium there. In Darling Harbour there is an IMAX theatre, Wildlife World and the Sydney Aquarium, as well as Chinese Gardens, Maritime Museum and lots more. Within a short walk of Darling Harbour you can explore ChinaTown, which is always fun - and delicious.

Canberra is an easy bus ride (3hours from Central Train station or the International Airport) or you can take the train or fly. For getting around Canberra, it is best to have a car though. There is a lot to do for kids. The Gold Creek area has Cockington Green, a Dinosaur Museum, Reptile Sanctuary and Walk-In Bird Aviary. In the Parliamentary Triangle area there is the old Parliament House - now the Museum of Australian Democracy, Parliament House, Questacon (MUST SEE for kids), National Art Gallery, National Portrait Gallery. The other side of the lake has the War Memorial, Carillion, Canberra Museum. The bridge to bridge walk is a good way to have a good look at the main tourist region of Canberra. Further afield there is the Cotter Dam (has a great playground and interesting view of new dam site), Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve (great nature walks, excellent playground and wildlife). There are numerous playgrounds as well - Weston Park at Yarralumla has a miniature railway and great play equipment, all right on the lake. Black Mountain Peninsula also has a really good (newly refurbished) playground, also on the lake. So much to see and do.

Mentioned in this post
Darling Harbour
Darling Harbour
9,277 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Wollongong...
Level Contributor
307 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Weekend side trips from Sydney with kids

Sydney is great, so many things to do with the kids and it wont be too cold, Canberra will possibly still be very chilly so my choice would be Gold Coast. easy to get about and but the deciding factor is its warmer. Stretch it out to 4 days and go to Fiji(4hours).

Mentioned in this post
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Sydney
Level Contributor
289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Weekend side trips from Sydney with kids

Canberra is great for kids, we went for a 4-day long weekend and didn't get around to everything we wanted to do. There is a new playground at the Arboretum which looks fantastic, and so we will plan a return trip soonish. The Blue Mountains is good too, lots of short walks the kids can do, and my then-3yo didn't mind looking in some of the shops in Leura for a while. Your kids might enjoy the Jenolan Caves, although the younger one might not like it so much when they turn the lights off - not sure if they do this on every cave tour. I'm sure if you warn him/her it's happening, s/he will cope - they don't stay off for very long. Also agree with the suggestion of Jervis Bay - Hyams Beach is a family favourite. Prices should be reasonable in winter, and my kids love walking along and playing on the beach, collecting shells etc, even if they can't get into the water. We've stayed twice in a place called Jacaranda Cottage which sits right above Hyams Beach with direct beach access and I can highly recommend it. Great for dolphin watching from the verandah too.

Mentioned in this post
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
New South Wales, Australia
Jenolan Caves
Jenolan Caves
New South Wales, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
759 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply