We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SFO to Sydney

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
SFO to Sydney

Hi there - I am looking for recommendations for flights from SFO to Sydney. What airline would you recommend? So far all prices are around $1800-$2000 per person round flight. Is that an average price? Thank you in advance for any advice!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SFO to Sydney

u don't have a lot of choices if u want non stop.

united is the only game in town.

transferring thru lax gives u a few more choices eg. virgin, delta and Qantas

I am always happy with united economy plus.

those prices seem on the high side.

when r u travelling?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SFO to Sydney

I am open to 1 layover. However we will be traveling with my 3 year old so we would prefer a short layover. We are looking at March or April 2014.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
617 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SFO to Sydney

Id go to LAX and pick up Qantas or Virgin Australia for the better IFE for your 3 yr old. Lack of set back TVs on United is less an issue for adults, but a bigger deal deal for kids on a long flight.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,080 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SFO to Sydney

Use one of the airline websites that give you all airlines flying from one destination to another. Expedia is one I believe. We have a number here in NZ but their start is NZ thus not particularly helpful to you.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
76 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SFO to Sydney

We travel United through there with small children (currently 2 and 4) every year. United is by far worse than the alternatives, but even with that, doing it nonstop would be better. We are stuck with United as FF. Just take your tablet, computer, DVD player, or similar with headphones and entertainment problems solved. With any luck the small one will sleep 9-10 hrs of the trip. The SYD to SFO direction is a bit more challenging as it isn't a natural night until midway through the trip. Definitely economy plus if you can swing it. We usually travel in May and up until the first week of June, prices are usually around what you have found for econ plus. We have found the lowest purchase prices to be around 3 months out, but YMMV and I would use one of the price forecasting websites.

Sydney
Level Contributor
289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SFO to Sydney

I too prefer the smallest number of flights possible, and so we fly UA to get to SFO directly, rather than going through LAX. 4 years ago our then 2yo was no trouble on the flight, and we didn't watch a single movie, she was entertained with new books and toys, and walking around. Our current 2yo may not be so easily distracted, which makes flying directly to our destination all the more essential! Agree that the prices you have been quoted seem high, particularly flying from the US. For not much more I could get our flights from Sydney with 3 internal flights in the US as well, although our trip is in September this year.

Sydney, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: SFO to Sydney

I'd imagine Asiana would have some specials out of SFO.

As to price, $1800 - $2000 or more was what SYD - LAX used to cost when it was just United and Qantas flying direct between the USA and Oz. Now that Delta and Virgin Australia have started flying as well the prices have come down - we paid $1350 return SYD - JFK in 2009, but that was when the competition had just arrived.

Friends of mine from the US fly Jetstar SYD - Hawaii then pick up domestic flights from there. Not so easy with your 3 yr old though.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SFO to Sydney

syd-lax prices cant be compared with lax-syd prices.

there is always a difference depending on the 'season' and from my experience the americans always seem to pay a little more no matter what.

I have paid under $1k for that leg (and $1.2K from SYD to NYC) so the $2k does seem a little OTT.

but for march/april departures I think it may be a little early for sale type prices.

the best thing to do is subscribe to Qantas, united, delta and virgin aus emails for specials.

doesn't hurt to monitor Air New Zealand either as they have a one stop (Auckland) out of SFO and can be reasonably priced..

(it's a bit early for the asiana jokes, bindog)

Sydney, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: SFO to Sydney

... and I knew there'd be a TW along soon enough to trump my $1350, lien. :-D

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,918 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SFO to Sydney

kayak.com is a good website that checks lots of airlines for comparison pricing.

I'd look at maybe flying from LAX or possibly a stopover for a night or two in Hawaii to break up the long flight for the 3 year old if that fits in with your plans.