We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for Family

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel for Family

My husband and I will be traveling with our 3 year old next year to Sydney and Canberra. We plan on spending 4-5 days in Sydney and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on which hotels to stay in. Our budget is up to $170 per night. For Canberra, we will be staying about 10 days to visit with family.

During my initial research I found hotels, apartments and serviced apartments. What exactly are serviced apartments? Are they like hotels but apartment style? If so, I think we would prefer those.

Since this is my first trip to Australia, I really have no idea where to begin. So thank you so much for all the help this forum has provided so far :-)

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for Family

start here.

use it as a search engine and then contact the property selected directly.

www.wotif.com

use the Sydney CBD tab (CBD=central business district= downtown.)

Sydney is an expensive city.

u may be struggling with $170/night to find a place equivalent to the quality for that price in the USA.

service apartments are like apartment hotels.

Edited: 11 July 2013, 21:49
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for Family

Generally apartments cost more per night, "serviced apartments" vary in what they actually offer so you will need to check with each property. As lien said $170pn for 3 wont get you very far. Saturday night rates are generally more $$ than other nights.

Travelodge Phillip st might be one option - a hotel but they have small kitchenettes in the room travelodge.com.au/travelodge-phillip-street-…

If you have a look at the FAQ's (right hand side of this page) there are a few accommodation threads including one on apartments.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,733 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel for Family

Apartment styled hotels appeal to some, and not to others. I've always felt two factors are quite important in determining this; the length of your stay (stated as 4-5 nights), and also whether the facilities which differs them from traditional hotels, will actually be used.

I've spoken to many friends who have stayed in apartment hotels, and never used the kitchen or the laundry - which defeats the purpose of seeking out a property with those room features.

The other determining factor is that many of the apartment properties in Sydney do not have full service features offered in traditional hotels.

Edited: 11 July 2013, 22:40
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,700 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel for Family

Very true,KVE. I use apartments most of the time although I don't usually use the laundry and often don't cook, but I like the extra space.

Often I'm mixing a business & leisure trip and having a living/dining room is useful for business meetings, having guests in for drinks - and just having a little more space for myself.

OTOH, it can be very nice to have a night or two in a destination hotel! Thinking about the Park Hyatt now the refurbs are finished.

Horses for courses, as you say & I really like the fact that we have such a good range of options.

With a 3 year old, I'd take the self catering apartment.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel for Family

Thanks for all the replies so far! It seems like $170/night might not be realistic in Sydney. What should I be looking at in terms of price per night? Also, what area? I am not sure how much time we will actually be spending at the hotel in Sydney so the basics will do (place to sleep, shower, and is clean and safe). For the 3 year old, I would prefer that the hotel have a restaurant or be close to some place where we can get food whenever needed. Since we will be staying longer in Canberra, I think the apartment type will be better, but I will post on the Canberra board for that.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,229 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel for Family

When are you staying in Sydney ? Meriton are the big provider of serviced apartments in Sydney so check them but I think your budget will be a problem. Using wotif there is a map choice (start with Sydney CBD) so shows distance to Bridge/Opera House to get an idea of areas.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,119 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel for Family

It's hard to say not knowing your dates/days, but you'd be probably looking at $250 + per night for a meriton or similar apartment. http://www.meritonapartments.com.au/sydney

Others

mantra.com.au/new-south-wales/…

http://www.hydeparkinn.com.au/accommodations

Sydney Harbour YHA has family rooms with private bathrooms …yha.com.au/Hostels/…

8. Re: Hotel for Family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 July 2013, 06:35
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,733 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel for Family

Hi Ella,

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but both your links are for Quest Brighton in Melbourne. Which is the same link you've added the last three posts.

I'm only pointing this out, as the OP on this thread is visiting Sydney and Canberra.

KL
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel for Family

I hope I can get some replies from here. We will be travelling to Sydney as 4 adults, 2 children (7 year old and 4 year old) and a 1.5 year old ( still consider as infant). I have tried to look for family friendly accomodation with budget ( AUD 300 per night?) but most return as no room available,or only choice for a super expensive penthouse option. My children will prefer to stay with us in one room, especially in new place, so I am more looking for 2 bedroom apartment that can accomodate all of us, with kitchen and laundry facility in Sydney, in early December. I probably will face the same dilemma when booking for accomodation during the side trips from sydney. Appreciate any tips or advice.

Edited: 11 July 2014, 10:27