We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip to sydney

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
trip to sydney

Hi

I will be going to sydney on Nov 2013 to catch royal carribean cruise at the cruise terminal. I will arrive 2 days earlier to explore on my own before boarding the cruise.

I would like to book hotel which is :

1) convenient to travel from kingsford airport to hotel and hotel to cruise terminal

2) preferably near train station

3) not too expensive

Hope someone out there can help me out. I will be staying for 3 nites

Thanks

Judy

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,641 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip to sydney

which cruise terminal?

what is expensive? .. to make useful suggestions a $$ value is better than something as subjective as 'expensive'

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,523 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip to sydney

thmoore has asked the most important question, we need a specific budget per night.

Accessibility to a train station shouldn't necessarily be a criteria for selecting a hotel because; 1. Majority of the CBD hotels are within reasonable proximity to a station. 2. If there is two or more persons with luggage, the train may not be the best mode of transport to and from the airport. 3. Sydney is not only walkable, there are also plenty of buses to get to attractions.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
290 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip to sydney

I've used the Holiday Inn at Darling Harbour some time back. Here's the link to my comments:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g255060-d…

It's quite close to the Cruise Ship Terminal and very close to all the tourist attractions. Cost wasn't bad (for Sydney)... Enjoy!

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
35 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip to sydney

You'll need to look for a hotel near the rocks - budget is important here, so cant name anything specific. I suggest checking out wotif or booking.com and comparing the rates. There are a few hotels to look at - Holliday Inn, Shangri-la etc. Nearest train station is Circular Quay, which is within walking distance of the Rocks. Easiest and possibly fastest way of getting there from the airport is via train.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,970 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip to sydney

Note there are 2 cruise terminals in Sydney - the new one near White Bay/Balmain (Bangaroo is closed) and the one at Circular Quay- Which terminal does your cruise leave from ?

Sydney
Level Contributor
707 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip to sydney

There are actually 2 terminals. One is in The Rocks, and is within walking distance from Circular Quay. The other is actually quite a distance away (1.5-2km), between King St Wharf and Barangaroo and is actually quite a hike from the Rocks! I got dropped off at the wrong one and had to walk all the way around Hickson rd to the 2nd terminal.

So, make sure you know WHICH terminal you need.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,523 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip to sydney

Whilst I entirely agree, that it's important for the OP to know which terminal their cruise departs from, I believe quite strongly that proximity should have little to no bearing on the selection of the hotel.

During the 'cruise' season, almost every 3.5-5.0 Star hotel in the CBD is utilized. So unless the OP has every intention of walking to the cruise terminal with their luggage (if it is OPT), otherwise it will involve a taxi.

I would select the best hotel for your budget, and not based on how close you are to your departure point.

Edited: 13 July 2013, 13:20
8. Re: trip to sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2014, 06:19