We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SYD Int Airport to CBD with kids...

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
SYD Int Airport to CBD with kids...

Hi there, my husband and I will be arriving in SYD (from Wellington,NZ) on a Monday at 5.30pm, with our two kids, 7 and 3yrs. We are staying at Adina Apartment Hotel, Kent St, which I believe is very close to Town Hall Station. Wondering whether we should take a taxi or train? Would this be peak hour traffic for a taxi? Would the price be around AUD45-50 for both options, depending on traffic of course. Thanks :)

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: SYD Int Airport to CBD with kids...

Around this time is peak hour especially in the CBD, taxi prices can be very expensive and awkward to fit all your luggage into the car. The best option may be train, but it would also be awkward with luggage on train. But this is defiantly peak hour so maybe train is the best option. Train would also be cheaper.

Edited: 18 July 2013, 05:17
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SYD Int Airport to CBD with kids...

If your flight lands at 5:30 by the time you clear immigration and customs it will be closer to 6:30. Going into the city you are going against the worst of the traffic. IMO take a cab. It should be around $50. If you have a lot of luggage the rank supervisor will put you into a station wagon which will drop you at reception.

The train to Town Hall is around 25 minutes and you'll need to navigate your way out of the underground labarynth (town Hall is a maze underground) to make sure you come out the correct entrance to get to your apartment building. You'll then still need to walk down to Kent St. With two tired kids in tow I wouldn't bother.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SYD Int Airport to CBD with kids...

Another vote for cab - much easier than train with little ones and luggage!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,361 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SYD Int Airport to CBD with kids...

Just get a cab. No fuss, no frazzle. Have a great time!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SYD Int Airport to CBD with kids...

I came into town the other evening around 6pm from Kogarah.

there was virtually no traffic on the ED from the airport.

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SYD Int Airport to CBD with kids...

Thank you everyone. I think we will play it safe and take a cab. Thanks for your advice :)

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
35 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SYD Int Airport to CBD with kids...

With a 3 yo, the rank officer will get you a taxi with child seat. Taxi will be the best way to get into the city.

singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SYD Int Airport to CBD with kids...

Hi, I am similar qns can I pls consult the experts here pls!

We have 4 adults and 4 kids below 4 years old with 4 luggages and 2 prams. We are heading to Hyde Park Inn Hotel at Museum Station. Our flight reaches airport at 10.45am.

Will there be a big taxi/ MPV that can fit all of us and our things? How much will it cost including airport charges?

If not, 2 cabs may not be cost efficient.

Any private airport transfer company to recommend?

Many thanks!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SYD Int Airport to CBD with kids...

A maxi cab will be able to take all of you. It will be 50% more than a regular cab so less than 2 cabs. It should be around $40.

Don't take the train to Museum. It's the only city station without escalators or lifts.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,377 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SYD Int Airport to CBD with kids...

I think you may actually be tight on a maxi depending on the size of the luggage and prams. You might need to do the 2 taxis to fit.