We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney Overnight Question

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
11 posts
209 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney Overnight Question

I am flying into Sydney early morning 9/13 from U.S. and would like a taste of Sydney that day and night. Flying out to Cairns 7am next morning for the start of an extended OZ Adventure and will return to further explore Sydney at end of October. My question is, am I better to check into an airport hotel for luggage/takeoff convenience or a hotel in Sydney (my Preference) for the night and figure a reliable way to the airport at 5am or so?. Hotel Shuttle services seem almost non-existent in Sydney and the private shuttle services are rated poorly. Thanks for any suggestions on which plan and hotel suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,201 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney Overnight Question

Staying in the city is likely to be much more pleasant. If you choose a hotel close to a station the 1st train of the morning on a Saturday gets you to the domestic terminal at 5.18am (assuming you're travelling solo, if not a taxi would be my choice) airportlink.com.au/time-table-from-city-week…

Travelodge Wynyard is right at Wynyard station. If you want something a bit more upmarket the Marriott & Intercontinental are close to Circular Quay Station.

Mentioned in this post
Wynyard Hotel
Wynyard Hotel
90 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,516 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,868 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney Overnight Question

Or the Menzies Hotel (on top of the rail station). I would do a taxi back to the airport.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney Overnight Question

Downtown Sydney is only 20 minutes by cab or train so i would agree with everyone else that you would be better of staying in the city, enjoying the day and the evening and heading out early to the airport

your choice of hotel obviously depends on your budget, but all those suggested above are quite good and well located.

I assume that you'll save your Sydney sightseeing for your return visit so I would be recommending a hotel somewhere closer to the Chinatown/Darling Harbor end of the city which is closer and more convenient to the airport. Still a good part of Sydney with lots of eating options. Stay near the Harbour on your return.

Getting to and from the airport, my suggestion is always to take the train if you are traveling light and solo or a cab if there's 2 or more and you have lots of luggage.

Train to the city is just under $17. Taxi from International terminal is about $45 and back to domestic around $35 (depending on traffic of course) - and no tips!

Edited: 24 July 2013, 00:11
Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
The Darling
The Darling
971 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Harbour
Sydney Harbour
19,106 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,745 posts
1,768 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney Overnight Question

The new Sydney Airport Hotel is pretty good & having an early 6am start I would differ to say stay in the airport hotel & just have a short walk across through the terminal. Check into your hotel on arrival to Sydney International & catch a cab/ train into the city & go exploring for the day. In the evening hop on to the train back to the airport.

www.wotif.com/hotel/View…

A good way to view Sydney when time is limited is by catching the HOHO bus . Also do the HOHO ferry around Sydney Harbour. You can jump on and off at any number of stops, including Darling Harbour, Circular Quay, Taronga Zoo. See links below.

sydney.com.au/hop-on-hop-off-bus-tour-sydney…

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Airport
Sydney Airport
Mascot, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Sydney Harbour
Sydney Harbour
19,106 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,516 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Taronga Zoo
Taronga Zoo
5,814 Reviews
Mosman, Australia
Sydney
Level Contributor
26 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney Overnight Question

You should definitely stay in the City as it is only about 20 mins away, whilst the Airport hotels serve a purpose, there really is nothing glamorous or interesting about the area.

With this much notice I see that you can still book some reasonable hotels like the Novotel Darling Harbour for $120, which is a steal! It's a pretty central and not too far away if you want to explore the City or get onto the Harbour.

If you are on your own the train is an ok option, but it depends on where you are staying - if you can't get a suitable shuttle option I would suggest getting a taxi, at that time of the day the roads won't be busy and at least you will have a door to door option, rather than going around the world.

Mentioned in this post
Darling Harbour
Darling Harbour
9,389 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Harbour
Sydney Harbour
19,106 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney Overnight Question

Get the train to and from the airport, and stay in a hotel near those stations. Some have been suggested, but some near Circular Quay would be fine.

The hotels near the airport are OK, but the locale is very ordinary.

Mentioned in this post
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,516 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
11 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney Overnight Question

Thanks everyone for helping me make the decision to stay in Novatel Darling Harbour!!! $120 for a decent room and a Harbour View The savings cover for a Solo Person Taxi ride to the airport to catch a 7am flight. I'll look at the train option when I arrive and have more time. I will be back to Sydney the end of October for a longer stay but this small taste upfront sounds great!!! Thanks again for everyone's help!

Mentioned in this post
Darling Harbour
Darling Harbour
9,389 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Harbour
Sydney Harbour
19,106 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,877 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney Overnight Question

>>>Novotel Darling Harbour!!! $120 for a decent room<<<

You got an absolute bargain.

Mentioned in this post
Darling Harbour
Darling Harbour
9,389 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney
Level Contributor
26 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney Overnight Question

Glad that you could take advantage of the deal, enjoy your stay in Sydney and keep us posted as to how you enjoy your taste of Sydney.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
10. Re: Sydney Overnight Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 06:20