We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long flight times worth saving money?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Long flight times worth saving money?

So I'm flying from Vancouver, Canada and have two main options - I can pay $1600 Canadian for a total of 28 hours travel time to Cairns or $935 for 40 hours of travel time. This is only for the way there! Is it worth it to spend the extra 12 hours travelling to save $650+? I've never had that long of travelling time before so I'm looking for advice from somebody who maybe has.. Longest travel time I've had is Paris-Vancouver and that was 16 hours. Thanks in advance!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long flight times worth saving money?

is this via china?

if so I don't think it is worth the money.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,399 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long flight times worth saving money?

My sentiments are exactly that of lien's above.

That's is 40 hours 'scheduled' - and doesn't take into consideration of any unforeseen delays, let alone your return flight.

Personally don't think it's worth it either.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long flight times worth saving money?

Is it all in the air, or is there a chunk of stopover time? An extra 12 hours on the ground, in a nice city during the day can be part of your holiday.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long flight times worth saving money?

There is a 4 and a half hour stopover in Guangzhou and an 11 hour one in Brisbane!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,851 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long flight times worth saving money?

Price the fare to Brisbane .... you can get a domestic flight to Cairns for around $80 to $100.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long flight times worth saving money?

I think I'd pay the extra $650 - I'd much rather fly as directly as possible.

Also is there much of a difference between the airlines you are considering?

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long flight times worth saving money?

Able's idea is a good one. If much of the time is in Brisbane (and you don't want to see Brisbane) price the fare to Brisbane direct, and purchase the Cairns leg separately. You could even get a hotel in Brisbane and still come out ahead.

My feeling is most advisors here on TA would rather fork up the cash, then be taken on scenic tours of airports. However, on other forums, they might tell you that Brisbane airport has a wasteland of boarding lounges where getting a bit of a rest is no problem.

Most Australians travelling to Europe travel around that amount of time to get there, and time on the ground is marginally better than time in the air.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long flight times worth saving money?

Depends

Are you young, fit, healthy and traveling on a budget or are you of an age where there are a few aches and pains, a bad back and an income that allows a degree of comfort to take precedence over cost? Former? Go via China. Latter? take the short haul.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long flight times worth saving money?

if it's the Brisbane layover that is time waster then I would consider the flight via china.

just make sure u r not getting stung for a costly transit visa in china altho I think they have done away with that now.

the only other thing is purchasing two separate tickets.

u have to make sure that your flight to cairns from Brisbane gives u enough time to transfer from your international flight and allows for some delay contingency. otherwise if u r a no show u will lose that flight and have to buy another one.

always a risky business.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,191 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long flight times worth saving money?

This is a very personal choice question.

I've chosen to have a 9 hour layover on my next trip because I save $800, after 14 hours I've had enough.... I really hate getting back on again without a significant break, for me going the next day will cost more, tight connection does too, the stopover could easily be worth a stay on its own.

However,

I do have lounge access, we will be staying in the stopover city coming home and it's what suits me.

It is hard to tell what works for you until you have done it.

In your case would i choose the 40 hours, probably not. i would be paying to go to Brisabne then doing Cairns separately