We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you stay in Pyrmont?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Would you stay in Pyrmont?

My husband and I are off to Sydney with our 3 year old and mum who is in her 70s.

We'd like a two bedroom apartment and the Star seems to have a good deal on.

However, I'm not really familiar with Pyrmont (or Sydney at all, let's be honest) - is it too far out of the action or is it an easy walk? We'd have a pram for the little one. We are only staying two nights and will likely venture in to Circular Quay and Manly during our stay. Is it a good location to be in?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,079 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would you stay in Pyrmont?

Would you stay at Glenelg?

or Port Adelaide?

Edited: 31 July 2013, 10:00
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would you stay in Pyrmont?

I would stay in Glenelg but I know I would need to catch public transport to get in to the city - I cannot walk. Are you saying that Pyrmont is similar and not within walking distance of central Sydney?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,048 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would you stay in Pyrmont?

I understand what GW is implying.

Interesting you responded by saying you would stay at Glenelg but didn't mention Port Adelaide :)

What is the 'good deal' you're getting at the Star? It would be interesting to compare that to a few of the apartments we would regularly recommend.

Pyrmont as a suburb is fine, were talking specifically about the Star and the surrounds.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,079 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would you stay in Pyrmont?

Yes i am,

and it isn;t easy and frequent

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
6,263 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would you stay in Pyrmont?

I would not hesitate to stay at Pyrmont. Close to Darling Harbor and china town etc with plenty to see. Mind you Circular Quay is a bit of a hike but if you follow the path around the bay and under the bridge a pleasant enough walk or alternatively a train from central or Wynyard station or catch a ferry from either Pyrmont or Darling harbor...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,079 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Would you stay in Pyrmont?

Famrick I have no concerns ,

but would you suggest Docklands?

I think posters need to know the actual than the online booking blurbs which often say "in the heart of the city"

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,048 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Would you stay in Pyrmont?

>>>train from central or Wynyard station<<<

Train to where exactly? Maybe I'm misread it, but the train will have no benefit for a guest staying at the Star, to commute into the city/quay.

OP, it's irregular. The 443 bus to Circular Quay runs about every 20 mins. If you walked from the foodcourt exit of the Star to Union St, then across Pyrmont bridge, up Market to George and onto Circular Quay - with a pram I'd say an easy 40 min walk.

The Star is fine, the suburb is nice but inconvenient and avoid the Pyrmont Bridge Hotel corner on Friday Saturday nights, especially with a three year old. I can say this with confidence as I'm currently house sitting an apartment across the road.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
748 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Would you stay in Pyrmont?

To get to Circular Quay from Pyrmont, there is a tram underneath Star City but you have to change for a train at Central Station (so you're going back on yourself), the 443 bus, or walk across Pyrmont Bridge and then up to Town Hall Station for a train to Circular Quay.

There's also the Pyrmont Bay ferry which goes directly there via under the Bridge - every 20 mins in the middle of the day on weekends and every 30 mins on weekdays - 131500.com.au/upload/docs/sydney-ferry/Darli…

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would you stay in Pyrmont?

It's OK but you could do better. There's really nothing much within easy walking distance for a 70 year old unless she's fit.

You'd be better off staying near Circular Quay, The Rocks or even around Chinatown where you have much better access to transport. There's also a big hill between Pyrmont and the parts if the city you will want to visit.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,262 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would you stay in Pyrmont?

if searching for apartments, have a look at the meriton apartments such as campbell, world tower or breakfree on george

http://www.meritonapartments.com.au/sydney