We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4hrs in Sydney

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
4hrs in Sydney

We have a 4.5 hr layover, would it be too crazy to exit the airport, catch a taxi to the Opera House (or somewhere) and get back in time?

Get the adrenaline going before the long flight to LAX.

Thanks

Bill

Oz
Level Contributor
11,453 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4hrs in Sydney

Hi,

Yes! Enjoy the international terminal. Most airlines require check in well in advance of the aircraft's loading.

Cheers,

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4hrs in Sydney

When you say 4.5 layover, do you mean the time between a domestic arrival and an international departure? Are your bags checked through, on one airline/PNR, i.e will you have your boarding pass already for your second flight?

It is about 30 minutes to get each way between the airport and Circular Quay, and 10 mins walk along from there to the Opera House.

Edited: 07 August 2013, 06:58
3. Re: 4hrs in Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 August 2013, 10:47
Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,454 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4hrs in Sydney

The good news is you do not have to decide until you are in Sydney and know for sure how much time you have.

My personal suggestion is check in for your trip to LA on arrival then head into the city. That way, you have no bags to worry about.

The Opera House is located at Circular Quay.

The train goes straight from the International or Domestic terminal to Circular Quay. It will be the cheapest option if you are alone. The cost is $16.70 to Circular Quay and $16.70 back again to the International terminal.

http://www.airportlink.com.au/price.php

I just checked the timetable. It looks like there is a train every 15 minutes in off peak and more often in peak times. The trip time is about 25 minutes.

You can get pictures of the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge from the Circular Quay railway station platform. You will be on the correct side of the rail way station to take pictures on your journey back to the airport. How good your pictures are will depend on your photo skills. I am not very good but here is a picture of the opera and the harbour bridge taken from the railway station platform at Circular Quay to give you an idea of what you can see.

bigjimsphilippinesexperience.com/images/Outs…

bigjimsphilippinesexperience.com/images/Outs…

(You may have to copy and paste the links)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4hrs in Sydney

and off peak return is 30.40

I really wouldn't recommend this

As a frequent traveller on this line 4 hours between flights can be very tight unless all you wan tto do is ride the train and take a few photos

20 minutes each way on the train (40 mins) minimum plus 20 mins wait time..

this doesn't allow for a cancellation which on a weekend can mean 40 mins between trains theres 2 hours gone...

May i suggest if you want to get out of the airport consider going to Brighton or Kyeemagh via taxi but TBH if it's an international/international I wouls stay put, If you are on an A380 boarding could well close 30-40 mins before departure, depending on airline

if you don't have an ESTA to leave the airport you will need one

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4hrs in Sydney

Thanks for the comments, really appreciate everyone's input.

This is an international layover (Bali to LAX), our bags will be checked, and we'll have our boarding passes for the flight to LAX. So I think we'll give it a go. We'll grab a taxi as I believe that'll give us the best/fastest route.

Besides, what's the worst that can happen? miss the flight to LAX and stay another day or two in Sydney? :-)

Thanks again,

Bill

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4hrs in Sydney

I think GW means an ETA (visa)

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,539 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4hrs in Sydney

What time of day and day of the week are we talking about? A train might be quicker than a cab.

But don't forget to get the visa. A transit visa is free but you have to jump through a few hoops to get one.

An ETA is easy to get but will cost you $20.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,434 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4hrs in Sydney

I wouldn't head into the city ... when you do the maths as per GWs advice, it doesn't make for a comfortable visit.

Are flying in from another country, here for 4.5 hours and then back to the States?

Your plan to see at least one of the main sites is very much time dependant on the plane arriving on time - but have you allowed time for the plane to taxi to the gate, time to disembark from the plane and go through whatever transit procedures you need to get out of the airport and then check in etc upon your return ? Very tight IMO and not worth the hassle.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4hrs in Sydney

If you haven't been to Sydney before and you decide to take a cab, consider going to Mrs Macquaries Chair. It gives you the classic view across the harbour to the Opera House and Harbour Bridge. If you have the time, you can then walk back up by the side of the harbour (farm cove) to the Art Gallery, and grab a cab from there. Gives you the best view of the Opera House. And the taxi to and from there can jump on and off the freeway to the airport quite easily - so it's less time on the road.

I don't think you are strictly speaking allowed (by the airline) to leave the airportwhen you are holding a boarding pass and your bags are checked - at least this is what I've been told by the airline in the past, but this is just between you and the airline. If you have a transit visa you should be fine.