We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meriton Campbell Street area safety

Brazil
Level Contributor
34 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Meriton Campbell Street area safety

Hello. I'm traveling to Sydney late September for one week and I'll be staying with my sister in Meriton Serviced Apartments Campbell Street. I've been reading about safety in Sydney and I realized that the apartment is close to one of the most "problematic" areas in Sydney - George Street, where there are gangs and drug dealers. This made me worried and I'm wondering if it's true. How really safe is this area?? Which precautions should two women traveling alone take in case of arriving after dark?? Thanks...It may be less dangerous than we are used to in Brazil....but I want to avoid problems while abroad

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meriton Campbell Street area safety

the theatre area of george street has a reputation for trouble. but it's well patrolled and has CCTV coverage.

in any case most problems are late at night.

compared to Rio (from what we read) it is nothing to worry about.

just take the normal precautions u would in any big strange city.

Essex
Level Contributor
127 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meriton Campbell Street area safety

I stayed there last November. No trouble at all. We didn't see anything whilst we were there and felt safe.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,753 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meriton Campbell Street area safety

As lien pointed out, it's absolutely nothing like the dangers you'd face in favelas at Rio or São Paulo. The trouble is more with intoxication very late at night.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Meriton Campbell Street area safety

Having travelled to South America, myself, I can comment that Sydney problems are absolutely nothing like what you would have seen/experienced in Brazil. The only problem would be late at night drunk males that might pick a fight with other drunk males as far as I can tell!

As a female you just need to be aware of walking at night like you would in any other city.

Campbell Street is fine and a good central location, so have a great time!

Birmingham
Level Contributor
107 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meriton Campbell Street area safety

Nattylovestravelling we are also staying at the Meriton Campbell Street but in November. I would be interested to see what you think of the apartments and the area.

Brazil
Level Contributor
34 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meriton Campbell Street area safety

thanks very much folks...the fact is that I live so scared all the time in my routine in Brazil, so that when I travel overseas I wanna feel the freedom of coming and go. And bootlelad we can keep in touch and as soon as I come back from Sydney I'll tell you my impressions. I booked Meriton Campbell because there are only good reviews here

Level Contributor
1,651 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Meriton Campbell Street area safety

I really wouldn't worry so much, as long as you're taking the usual precautions. You've made a good choice, so, stress less! :)

Birmingham
Level Contributor
107 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meriton Campbell Street area safety

thanks Nattylovestravelling have a great holiday!

9. Re: Meriton Campbell Street area safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2014, 05:17