We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sydney and cairns dec/ jan 2014

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Topic
sydney and cairns dec/ jan 2014

Hi,

Well, hubby and I haved decided to visit Australia for Christmas and new years. Yes...I know..we are very late at planning so are now having to rush a bit. We will be there for two weeks.

We definitely want to visit Sydney and cairns/port Douglas but are not sure whether to add another destination. How long would you recommend we spend in each destination?

Hubby doesn't want to do the red centre or Tasmania and wants to stay on the east coast.

We will be renting cars in both locations as hubby loves driving.

We are in our early 30s and love culture, food, water sports, driving. Not so much into clubbing. Can anyone recommend a third destination? Do we actually need one?

Also, as we want to be in Sydney for NYE, we will have to fly into Sydney from London and then fly straight to cairns as there are no flights from London to cairns. This means we will be in cairns for Christmas and then fly to Sydney on 26 December (or thereabouts). Is there any other way to do this? We would prefer flying into cairns and out of Sydney.

I am so excited.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sydney and cairns dec/ jan 2014

u can get to cairns from London with an intermediate stop that doesn't include transfer thru an east coast Australian city.

emirates for example: London-Dubai-Perth-Cairns (code share with Qantas).

there should be others. check with www.kayak.com or ask a travel agent.

to fly into Cairns and out of Sydney u will either need an open jaw ticket (if making other arrangements for the Cairns to Sydney leg) or simply book a round trip LHR-CNS-SYD-LHR.

as a third stop I would be considering a road trip out of Sydney eg. south down the coast, snowy mountains, Canberra.

having said all that there are a few things u should be aware of.

u r travelling at the busiest time of the year. accommo esp in Sydney for NYE will be hard to find.

prices in Sydney for rooms will make your jaw drop.

all other places on the east coast (except north queensland where it is low season), similarly.

it is the beginning of the wet season in cairns/PD. prepare for humid weather and tropical downpours. it is also stinger season which limits your ocean swimming experience.

5 days cairns-4 days Sydney-5 day road trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sydney and cairns dec/ jan 2014

Thanks for responding.

Would you advise avoiding cairns then and visiting one of the other big cities instead?

London, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sydney and cairns dec/ jan 2014

Thanks for responding.

Would you advise avoiding cairns then and visiting one of the other big cities instead?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sydney and cairns dec/ jan 2014

no, I would not advise avoiding cairns.

the 'wet' may not affect your stay at all.

it's a good time of year for a reef trip. no trade winds make for a smooth ride. water clarity is good.

the rain can make the rainforest and waterfall areas pretty spectacular.

I was just giving u a heads up to be prepared.

many visitors think summer in aus is dry and hot. in the north it will be more than likely wet and hot.

Edited: 11 August 2013, 22:12
London, United...
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sydney and cairns dec/ jan 2014

OK.

My husband would like us to only visit Sydney and cairns for now so won't be adding a third destination for now. We will use the car to take day trips though.

So it will be 7 days Sydney/7 days cairns.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sydney and cairns dec/ jan 2014

having a car in Sydney city is a pain.

apart from the traffic, parking is costly and in many cases hard to find.

just be sure if u do want a car while in Sydney that u ascertain from your accommo what the parking situation and cost is.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: sydney and cairns dec/ jan 2014

Our family of 4 is traveling to Sydney and Cairns from 12/19 - 1/2--having a hard time finding condo accommodations near Manly or Bondi for the last 4 nights of the trip due to holiday minimum stays etc so now thinking of spending first 7 nights in Sydney and thought Christmas Day might be a great day to take a day trip to Manly on the ferry--does anyone know if they will be running and what's the best way to get an advance ticket (if advance is necessary). Being on or near the water on Boxing Day also sounds like a great idea--any more up to date tips on this? Then headed to Cairns for 4 - 5 nights--was thinking of staying a little away from Cairns--either Palm Cove or Port Douglas--any suggestions. Is a car needed here?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sydney and cairns dec/ jan 2014

jan,

'hijacking" a thread is not a good idea.

best to start your own.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,819 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sydney and cairns dec/ jan 2014

For OP Seekfind, consider staying in Port Douglas or Palm Cove (I would prefer PD). Hiring a car is required and easy so allows trips up to Cape Tribulation, Mossman Gorge, Atherton Tableland and around Cairns. And yes, it will be hot and humid.

For Sydney over NYE this means book your accommodation as soon as possible and be prepared to pay for it. Having a hire car in Sydney for a couple of days gives you more options but need to think about how/where it can be parked,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
748 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sydney and cairns dec/ jan 2014

If you want to hire a car in Sydney, and you want to do day trips why not avoid the cost of hiring during the days you explore the city by setting aside your first few days in Sydney (and don't hire a car), then arrange to pick one up and spend a few days staying outside of Sydney (where the car will come in handy). You're more likely to find something further outside Sydney in terms of accommodation too.