We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel suggestions for a single woman traveller

Melbourne
Level Contributor
88 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel suggestions for a single woman traveller

Hi everyone

I will be in Sydney overnight on 31 August and am looking for a place to stay. I am on my own and middle aged! I looked at 1888, Radisson Blu Plaza and Parkroyal at Darling Harbour, my budget is up to $250 for the night. I need to be near the trains as I have to go to MLC School at some point plus I will catch the train in from the airport.

It's been a long time since I was in Sydney so I'd also like to do some of the tourist stuff while I'm there.

Can anyone give me recommendations on where to stay (any ideas on things to do will be appreciated too).

Thank you.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel suggestions for a single woman traveller

I'd have a look at the Swissotel. Its in the middle of the shopping area, next door to Westfield, and very close to Town Hall Station. Another option is the Travelodge at Wynyard or the Menzies. Both also much more central than Darling Harbour.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,565 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel suggestions for a single woman traveller

Great suggestions from Eva, I wholeheartedly agree with all of them.

OP - I personally wouldn't recommend 1888 at this point in time. For a 'Darling Harbour' property, it is not a great location (next to the overpass on ramp off Pyrmont St), the feedback I've received by those who have done inspections, is that whilst its new, the rooms are quite small, poor location, and the rate for what you get doesn't constitute value.

I feel sorry for them, imagine going from that, to putting up with construction noises and associated inconveniences for like a year, when the convention centre gets torn down and rebuilt.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
88 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel suggestions for a single woman traveller

Thanks for that, I've booked the Swissotel as the location looks perfect.

Any suggestions on places for dinner on Saturday night where I wont feel uncomfortable eating alone?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,565 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel suggestions for a single woman traveller

Great choice and great recommendation by Eva.

It depends on what sort of cuisine you're after, price range and time you're intending to eat. There are numerous eateries along York St nearby the Grace Hotel, three blocks down George St, you've got Chinatown, one block down you've got top level of TGV, or if you're after an easy early one, the foodcourt at Westfield is reasonable for a lite bite. And if the weather is really bad, you can always grab a traditional club sandwich via room service or in their lobby cafe.

Edited: 15 August 2013, 08:51
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel suggestions for a single woman traveller

Don't go to the food court in the Westfield basement which is your basic Maccas, OPorto, KFC etc. Head up to the 5th floor for an absolutely awesome food court experience. Food court setting, so perfect for a single diner but top restaurant quality food at very reasonable prices.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,565 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel suggestions for a single woman traveller

Haha Eva understands.

I think I had tunnel vision writing that. All I could think about was Din Thai Fung :)

Edited: 15 August 2013, 09:21
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,565 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel suggestions for a single woman traveller

Din Tai Fung

Auto correct, I hate my phone

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel suggestions for a single woman traveller

I hear you KVE! But lately I've developed a fondness for the Cloudy Bay Fish Co, especially the clam chowder. Must be the cold weather. Nicer tables and chairs up in that corner too😋

Melbourne
Level Contributor
88 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel suggestions for a single woman traveller

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. Looks like I will have plenty of choice.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,304 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel suggestions for a single woman traveller

Cloudy bay is pretty good but sit at the bar, IME it seems to be more interatcive for a single

Xanthe seems to have quite a few singles too.