We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evenings in Sydney with family

Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Evenings in Sydney with family

I will be in Sydney for a 5-day conference next month, will be staying at meriton pitt street with wife and kid. My daily meetings will end about 5pm, so I only have the evenings to explore Sydney with my family.

I'd like any suggestions for evening itineraries that will be family-friendly.. I heard that most shopping centres close early in Sydney? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,125 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Evenings in Sydney with family

you can do the aquarium

go up Sydney Tower

Shops open late on Thursdays

grab a ferry for fish and chips on the beach

depending on age of the kid night at the observatory

Edited: 18 August 2013, 08:47
5dz
Sydney
Level Contributor
26 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Evenings in Sydney with family

Stores are open between 5:30 and 6:30pm during the week in the City and 9pm on a Thursday.

If you are only available after 5pm, the ferry and aquarium are great options. You may also want to try and book tickets at the Opera House for a family friendly show?

Depending on the age of your child you may also want to venture over to the iconic Luna Park where views are great and they can have some fun.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,125 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Evenings in Sydney with family

Myer and David Jones are open till 7 on the other weeknights.

Myer is open till 8 on Fridays, watching the queues at the makeup counters as the girls get free make up done for the club scene can be entertaining ;)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Evenings in Sydney with family

Walk over to Darling Harbour. It's nice lit up at night and the city skyline view from there is lovely.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Evenings in Sydney with family

Adding to the above Darling Harbour suggestion - if the weather is warm and if it's still light out, you could take your child to the Darling Harbour playground. Our kids loved it. It has water games, climbing ropes, swings, slides, sandpit and a flying fox (free). Afterwards you can go to one of the nearby cafes for your dinner. http://www.darlingquarter.com/play.

You could even go see a kids theatre?

And as per above, ;Luminous' at Darling Quarter (precinct of Darling Harbour) the world's largest interactive light installation http://www.darlingquarter.com/luminous/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
209 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Evenings in Sydney with family

I'd recommend taking a ferry ride. The ride to Manly is lovely and gives you a great view of the harbour.

Luna Park is another great place to take your child and is just a quick trip across the harbour.

Pitt Street Mall is a good place to shop. The shops in Sydney are open late on Thursday night. You can also head up to the viewing platform of the Sydney Centrepoint Tower which gives a gorgeous view of the city and the harbour.

Enjoy your trip!

7. Re: Evenings in Sydney with family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 06:22