We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended transfer from sydney airport to sydney cbd?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Recommended transfer from sydney airport to sydney cbd?

We are a family of 4 travelling to Sydney for vacation on 31aug2013 with arrival 10.30am.

Kindly advise which airport transfer services are reliable to and fro airport?

Also, is it advisable for us to split into two cabs? We have 4 large luggages and some cabin luggage.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended transfer from sydney airport to sydney cbd?

Cheapest and quickest way for 4 people is a taxi.

If you have 4 bags the rank supervisor will put you into a station wagon.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,090 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended transfer from sydney airport to sydney cbd?

The taxi is going to cost you around $60 which is about the same fare as 4 train trips but less hassle

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended transfer from sydney airport to sydney cbd?

Thanks for the prompt response.

Do we need to pre-book such station wagon in advance or it is available after we touched down?

Is there a website for the taxi services so that we can pre-book it?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended transfer from sydney airport to sydney cbd?

Just to add, i will really appreciate inputs for reliable airport transfer services e.g. airport taxis.

For example, omnicar.au (is this a reliable service?)

I will need to pre-book in advance and i hope not to expect uncontactable drivers (like some of the bad reviews online for airport transfer services).

Thanks all in advance and your valuable inputs are appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,214 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended transfer from sydney airport to sydney cbd?

There is no need to pre-book, there plenty of taxis at the airport.

Unless you're wanting to book a limousine service, there are no contactable driver taxi service in Sydney - not that I'm aware.

I think the MelbourneCabs 'premium' pre-booked service, are the only service that text you a driver number, and they monitor flight arrival times also.

Edited: 25 August 2013, 21:29
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,135 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended transfer from sydney airport to sydney cbd?

Omni car are reliable but you don't need them.

You may not fit in a wagon (4 suitcases can be an issue with the LPG tank) but they will locate you a maxi which means you will fit. No booking required and certainly if taxi booking I would be stressing due to the uncertainty of how long the formalities of arrival take

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,634 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommended transfer from sydney airport to sydney cbd?

Interestingly from observations there is more and more use of limousine cars over a taxi even for a airport transfer (definitely for going to the airport if the number I see travelling over the Harbour Bridge is an indicator). People in our street always use a hire car to travel to the airport. I haven't used them so can't recommend any firm. I assume the meeting at the airport is connected through mobile calls.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,214 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommended transfer from sydney airport to sydney cbd?

It's an interesting point for discussion dytokyo.

I think it comes back to that suggestion mentioned the other day by lien, of having the NYC styled set fee from CBD to the airport - which is the case with limousines/hire car, there's no nasty surprises, reliable, personable and efficient. And when used regularly, you get to know the drivers, who you can make arrangements with off the books.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommended transfer from sydney airport to sydney cbd?

Hi KVE1005, thanks for the reply. Does MelbourneCabs provide services in sydney?

I have a problem with the websites asking for Aus mobile number when i am an overseas tourist.

i will probably look into omnicabs since there's not much suggestion given other than waiting for the taxis in the airport (which i am unsure of the total fare/queuing time = budget vs risk).

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,214 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommended transfer from sydney airport to sydney cbd?

Hi,

No they do not, it is only for Melbourne.

As previously mentioned, you really don't need to prebook a taxi. The taxi availability is very good, monitored by taxi rank marshalls and reasonably priced for the number of persons travelling in your party.

However it is entirely your prerogative.