We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temporary child care centers?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lugano (Switzerland)
Level Contributor
43 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Temporary child care centers?

Dear all,

we are looking for a child care center in central Sydney where we could leave our child for some hours during the day.

We are visiting Sydney and its surroundings for a week, in September.

Having a very active toddler, we would like to drop him off so he can play with other children while we (peacefully) explore the city and carry out tourist activities that would certainly bore him...

I have looked for day care centers but they seem to be only long term and/or for residents.

Do any of you know of a professional child care center or baby club for tourists or "irregular" customers? Maybe some hotels provide this service?

We prefer this option to babysitting, as our baby is very sociable and loves to be among his peers. Our son is 18 months old.

Thank you for your help!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,515 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temporary child care centers?

The only place that provides casual visits for international visitors, in the Sydney CBD is World Tower Childcare.

I suggest contacting them well in advance for availability, and expect very expensive rates.

http://www.sydneychildcare.com/

Edited: 26 August 2013, 15:39
Lugano (Switzerland)
Level Contributor
43 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temporary child care centers?

Dear KVE1005,

thank you very much for your feedback. It's one of the centers I had looked at, but it seemed like they didn't take temporary customers... I just wrote them an email to ask and will post the answer so we all know... :)

Ah... little did we know, just a couple of years ago, that those holiday moments without children were so precious! So long to reading books, snoozing on a sunbed, sleeping in... Yet life is empty, dull and bland without our little hurricane around... ;)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,515 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temporary child care centers?

Hi,

As a parent, I understand and appreciate your situation.

By temporary, I think they refer to casual day care. Although it would be extremely expensive, from what I understand, they do permit visitor children, on the provision you pay weekly fees in advance, plus security deposit. This would be even if you only used them once or twice during the week, so I again stress it's very expensive.

The alternative is to hire a babysitter (as you mentioned) either direct or via your hotel concierge. Majority of the hotels currently use Dial an Angel.

www.dialanangel.com/child-care-babysitting

Lugano (Switzerland)
Level Contributor
43 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temporary child care centers?

Dear KVE1005,

I have not yet received an answer from World Tower Child care, whereas Dial-an-Angel answered immediately.

They offered me a babysitting service, apparently very highly qualified and screened sitters. Very high is also the rate though! More than double what we pay on Hamilton Island (Queensland) and even higher than here in super-expensive Switzerland. With those rates, I think I'd rather bring my Little Hurricane along, especially since with a baby sitter he would be confined in the small apart-hotel room, not ideal for him.

Now I see why some parents hire an au-pair and bring her with them on vacation... :) Will consider that for next time ;)

Thank you very much for your useful advice!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,515 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temporary child care centers?

Absolute pleasure.

I'm sorry to hear the day care hasn't responded, that's poor considering its now a 24hr operation, including office staff.

Yes babysitting is very expensive here, so it's usually more suitable for one night here and there. However, Sydney is a very children friendly place, and although you won't get your 'quiet time', you'll thoroughly enjoy your time here. Just some creative planning for your leisure activity needed.

Goodluck with your planning!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,868 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temporary child care centers?

if you want cheaper rates but still very reputable service perhaps try Women's College at Sydney Uni. Most of the girls doing baby sit are teaching students... reputable and often you can negotiate hours and prices

Lugano (Switzerland)
Level Contributor
43 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Temporary child care centers?

Hi Gurus W,

thank you for your suggestion, it sounds like wise advice. The only thing is that I've looked up the College and found just the general contact email address of the University and it feels a bit bizarre to write to them with this type of request... Do you perhaps know of any boards/sites/pin walls where people post their "job ads" for students?

Thank you so much!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,868 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Temporary child care centers?

No I'm sorry.

I can ask for you though and see.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,971 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Temporary child care centers?

I would be very careful just picking up a babysitter off a casual noticeboard for a visitor. Just go with an agency such as Dailanangel as they have done all the checks (including police checks would you believe).

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,294 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Temporary child care centers?

Agree. Uni students are unlikely to have had their "working with children" tests done whereas all staff at Dial An Angel are required to have regular police checks.