We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend a reliable pre-bookable taxi firm in Sydney?

England, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Recommend a reliable pre-bookable taxi firm in Sydney?

Hi all,

I've just spend the last hour searching online, trying to find some recommendations for a prebookable taxi firm in Sydney. I just can't seem to find anything - I can find listings of random companies, but I want someone I know is at least reputable.

We will be wanting to prebook for New Year's Eve so want to contact some places now to check prices and book. Please can anyone recommend a reliable firm?

Many thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,565 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommend a reliable pre-bookable taxi firm in Sydney?

Hi,

Where is your pickup and drop off?

The reason for this question, is that on NYE, parts of the city have street closures, and taxis will not be able to pickup/drop off in those locations. Also, even if the taxis are booked, if its within close time to the fireworks on either side (before/after)' even if you aren't going anywhere near the harbour, there will be heavy delays.

I've seen three hour delays for hotel guests, with booked taxis after the fireworks.

Have a 'Plan B' ready.

https:/…pickupdetails.aspx

https:/…pickupdetails.aspx

England, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommend a reliable pre-bookable taxi firm in Sydney?

We are going to Taronga Zoo. Our hotel is Travelodge Wynyard on York Street. As long as the taxi can get us over the water back to the right side, we can walk back to the hotel if needed.

Hopefully that would be possible?

England, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommend a reliable pre-bookable taxi firm in Sydney?

Just to add - thank you for those 2 taxi links. Unfortunately I can't progress with either of them because it says my contact number is invalid - I guess it expects an Australian not a UK one and I don't know the right format to get past the form.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,565 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommend a reliable pre-bookable taxi firm in Sydney?

Yes, the format has to be in an australuan mobile or landline number. The way to get around it, is to use the hotel number 9272 1222.

BUT...

Why not go by bus to Taronga Zoo? The bus leaves across the road from your hotel on Carrington St, Wynyard.

Edited: 01 September 2013, 18:18
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,565 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommend a reliable pre-bookable taxi firm in Sydney?

Wait....

You wrote you are going TO Taronga Zoo. Then followed that with "as long as the taxi can get us across the water, back to the right side, you can walk back to the hotel..."

Does that mean you want the taxi GOING TO Taronga Zoo or both?

England, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommend a reliable pre-bookable taxi firm in Sydney?

Hi

Sorry if I caused confusion. We'll need to get both to the zoo on New Year's Eve (prob around 6pm - 7pm ish), and then back again after midnight.

Not too fussed what transport option, however what concerns me is how busy it will obviously be on NYE. So booking a taxi seemed a good option as we could pre book and know we didn't have to worry if you see what I mean.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,565 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommend a reliable pre-bookable taxi firm in Sydney?

No issue whatsoever.

Heading away from the city to the zoo, at that time of the early evening, 530-600pm you won't have trouble catching a bus - but it is peak hour, which will affect traffic. And you've also got late night services heading back from Mosman Junction, as well as the designated ferries.

But absolutely understand if you wish to pre-book, especially for your return.

Edited: 01 September 2013, 19:13
Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommend a reliable pre-bookable taxi firm in Sydney?

Personally I think you may have problems pre-booking a taxi for NYE. You might be better off with a private car and driver, I think they possibly may be a bit more reliable. Here are some I found on Google: http://www.google.com.au/#q=private+car+and+driver+sydney&safe=active

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommend a reliable pre-bookable taxi firm in Sydney?

Even if you pre book, you might be waiting for a very long time for a cab and even when it arrives you could be up for a very hefty cab fare after the fireworks. Military Rd (main road towards the city) and the roads leading onto it like Bradley's Head Rd are in gridlock till 2 or 3 am with all the people who have driven to vantage points around the harbour heading back home.

The quickest way back to the city would be to take a ferry.

I'm not even sure if the cab companies take bookings for the early hours of New Year's Day.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,085 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommend a reliable pre-bookable taxi firm in Sydney?

Getting to the zoo I would take a bus. While NYE is a 'work day' many people finish around lunch time to normal traffic is replaced by the NYE traffic.

After NYE the lower north shore around the Zoo, Cremorne Point, Bridge is a traffic gridlock and most people try to walk away from the harbour. I would imagine your pre-booked car will be very slow. If you really want a car then book a hire car (not a taxi) which will be more expensive but more reliable. Another problem is around the zoo roads can be blocked off by the police if too much traffic so be prepared for changes to plans.