We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Mountain tour operators

J L
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
46 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Mountain tour operators

Hi there

We will be visiting Sydney in November and would like to do a day trip to the Blue Mountains. What reputable tour companies can you recommend or which ones would you avoid?

Thanks for your help

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
92 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Mountain tour operators

We are also going to Sydney in Oct/Nov for 4 nights, after researching Blue Mountain tours we have decided we are going with Oztrek as they are reasonably priced at $59 & lately seem to have good reviews. I suppose time will tell.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,743 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Mountain tour operators

The two most popular tour operators as recommended by hotel concierges are;

APT and OzTrails.

The difference between the two is the former is a large group tour on a full sized coach, the latter on a smaller tour with a minibus. They both have their pros and cons. Significant price difference, duration at each attraction, size and comfort of the coach, and level of personalization.

I personally would not book in advance - unless you are intending to go on the tour, the day after your arrival. The benefits of booking when you arrive, is that it gives you flexibility to take into account the weather, tiredness and other unforeseen circumstances.

The bookings can be made by your hotel concierge/front desk clerk, but you will be required to be present with your credit card, at the time of the booking.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Mountain tour operators

Hi,

on our first trip to Blue Mountains, we also went with highly recommended APT.

Do heed wise KVE 1005's advice--book it only when there,as weather,and yep jet lag,and the mood.

I like to think the weather forecast provided herein is accurate:-

http://www.bluemts.com.au/weather-forecast/

A few weeks ago, my wife and I went back to BM,and true to its forecast, it was very windy especially at Echo Point, and on the following day,where it was forecast that there will be chance of rain--true enough short showers. This was our fifth trip. We were on our own.

In fact, in comparing doing it on our own and joining a tour-there are already pros and cons. When we went with APT, we did not have time for Giant Stairway,and do all scenic world rides,or takes a leisure heritage walk in Katoomba,or just sitting outside a cafe in Echo Point with a cup of coffee and just taking in the beautiful sight.

J L
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
46 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Mountain tour operators

Thanks for the quick responses and advice. We prefer going with a smaller group so Oztrails and Oztrek both sound right up our street. Originally I was planning to book the trip in advance before we fly over in case they're all booked up but you reckon it'll be better to leave it till we actually arrive in Sydney? I can understand your point in seeing what the weather is like for that week and gauging how tired etc we are so presumably whoever we go with won't be fully booked days in advance?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,377 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Mountain tour operators

Just don;t use FJ tours

they have little regard for rules and consider no one other than their bottom line

Wentworth Falls...
Level Contributor
172 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Mountain tour operators

Also check out www.cityrail.com.au for the Blue Mountains Explorer Link ticket it includes return train travel from Sydney to katoomba and the hop on hop off Explorer bus, shows you the main attractions but gives you some flexibility as well

7. Re: Blue Mountain tour operators

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 05:18