We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation from cruise ship to sirport

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orwigsburg...
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Topic
transportation from cruise ship to sirport

What is the best form of transportaion from the cruise ship dock to the airport and approximate cost. It will be just 2 of us.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,869 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation from cruise ship to sirport

Which ship and which dock?

If you don't know the dock just a ship and date will suffice :)

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,925 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation from cruise ship to sirport

For two people with luggage, whichever cruise terminal you are coming in to, I would suggest a cab to the airport. There won't be more than a few $$s in it if anything, and, for the convenience it's not worth mucking around with trains.

The cost of a cab will vary depending on traffic and, of course,which dock - but it should be no more than $50 (no tipping required in Australia)

If you are coming into the OPT at Circular Quay (the only dock convenient to public transport) and opt for taking the train, the fare will be $16.90 each.

Orwigsburg...
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation from cruise ship to sirport

Sorry for the typo. That should be Airport.

Thank you for that info evamelb. It is very helpful. The cruise line offers airport transportation for $28 per person and I was just trying to get a feel for whether it was less expensive for a cab. Besides, I believe in supporting the locals in a country I'm visiting.

We get to spend 3 days in Sydney before the cruise. can't wait.

Orwigsburg...
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation from cruise ship to sirport

I don't know the dock. It's Royal Caribbean, Voyager of the Seas on November 23rd.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation from cruise ship to sirport

Hi,

if from Circular Quay(P2),and opting for the airport link train, to domestic terminal-fare is AUD15.90, whilst to International terminal,fare is AUD16.70.

If from White Bay, public transport might be difficult, though bus route 442 going to Town Hall station,then airport link train to airport. As such,either the cruise line shuttle or taxi.

Not sure how accurate,though to provide as a guideline:-

http://www.taxifare.com.au/

then I use Robert Street Rozelle (as a rough indicator), it suggests AUD36.73--how accurate,I cannot say. Then I changed it to White Bay Cruise terminal,it shows AUD39.16

Similarly,using it, it shows from OPT to airport-AUD32.19.

On this basis, will go with taxi from either OPT or White Bay to airport(if using taxifare.com.au as rough indicator;;because I remember just paying AUD35 for my taxi trip from Sydney domestic terminal to Hilton Hotel on a Sun at around 10am-it was under ADU35,but I just paid in whole. To recheck taxifare.com.au-it is showing AUD27.74

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,544 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation from cruise ship to sirport

Hi mK,

I'm not sure what's happened with the taxi fare calculator, but those figures are way off the mark. From the CBD to the airport, I've never had at those prices displayed.

I'd say you had a miraculous run on the Sunday morning with little to no traffic and no red lights.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,925 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation from cruise ship to sirport

Your ship is at the OPT at Circular Quay. It's about 200 -300 m walk from the dock to the railway station which has an elevator to the platform, and from there, 7 stops to T1 at the airport.

Edit: LVE perhaps the calculation is to Domestic which is much closer than International? Still seems pretty cheap to me.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 03:18
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,544 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transportation from cruise ship to sirport

True Eva. Just a tad concerned about the very last figure. $27 from anywhere in the city to the domestic doesn't seem right, and didn't want the OP thinking they've been jibbed if it goes closer to the $40 mark.

Orwigsburg...
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: transportation from cruise ship to sirport

I guess I really need more information. I was assuming that the docks are around Circular Quay, but I know nothing specific. I'll have to check with the cruise line if possible.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: transportation from cruise ship to sirport

Hi ctmhgal,

yep,it is showing on Sydney port cruise schedule- RC-Voyager of the Seas coming in on Nov 23, 2013 into OPT at 0600hrs.

You will love it.I had been on this liner, from Shanghai.

evamelb and KVE1005- fully agree,I was also surprised to see those figures from taxifare.com.au- even rounding up at AUD30,also a bit low.

A previous taxi ride,but from International terminal to Four Seasons hotel on a weekday, in evening at just before 10pm, cost me AUD55..think it was 53.something.