We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

35 minute transit at Sydney Airport enough?

Auckland Region...
1 post
Save Topic
35 minute transit at Sydney Airport enough?

I have been to Sydney airport a couple of times and one of them was also for a very short transit time, but cannot, for the life of me, remember the amount of time it was.

I remember getting annoyed at security for taking a long time because they have new rules in place about liquids and also literally running in a spiral to to get to the departure gate. When I did finally get to the gate, I still had quite a bit of time.

Would the 35 minutes be enough, or should I play it safe and get a larger transit time?

(I'm will be coming from Auckland on a Qantas flight, and going to Dubai on an Emirates flight)

Many thanks!

Wentworth Falls...
Level Contributor
172 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 35 minute transit at Sydney Airport enough?

Ask the airline if they say 35 mins enough you are OK but personally I would allow more time catch an earlier flight into Sydney

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,590 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 35 minute transit at Sydney Airport enough?

Will you be going through security again? Surely in transit (never done it in Sydney) you just go to your gate?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 35 minute transit at Sydney Airport enough?

No way would I risk 35mins in Sydney!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,010 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 35 minute transit at Sydney Airport enough?

Able is right.

It's international to international, so it's not impossible. If its ticketed on one ticket by the airlines, then it's approved. Worst case scenario, Emirates would provide you with alternatives.

I've seen similar transit times in much busier airports. But I wouldn't be mucking about going from gate to gate.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 15:07
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 35 minute transit at Sydney Airport enough?

International flights start boarding more than 30 minutes before departure.

That means your Dubai flight will already be boarding when your Auckland flight is touching down. It can take 10 or 15 minutes for a plane to get to the gate and for passengers to get off.

You'd better make sure you're not last off and your flight isn't even a few minutes late.

You don't say what time of day. Is there a later flight you can get if you miss the connection? If not, you could be stuck in Sydney till the next day.

I'd be a nervous wreck for the duration of the Trans Tasman flight. The only way I would attempt this would be if it was a single booking so QF are responsible for getting you on a DXB flight if things go pear shaped.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 15:40
6. Re: 35 minute transit at Sydney Airport enough?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 05:18