We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for a meeting in Olympic Park

USA
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for a meeting in Olympic Park

I am attending a meeting in Olympic Park for 5 days in October. Apparently there are three hotels there (the Pullman, the Novatel and the Ibis). The Pullman and the Novatel are pretty expensive (more than $300 a night) and the Ibis is full.

What area of the city can I stay in that is a) a nice area to stay, and b) offers an easy trip to the OIympic Park via public transport?

I prefer IHG, Hilton or Starwood properties if feasible since I have status at those hotels.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,119 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for a meeting in Olympic Park

For the sake of 35 min commute each way, I would stay in the Sydney CBD. The hotels out Homebush/Olympic Park were purpose built for events, and although the area is slowly starting to build up, at night it's still like a ghost town. You have limited eateries, and nowhere to go sightseeing if you have free time.

Of the hotel groups you've listed, you have a choice of;

Hilton Sydney - only one property in Sydney

Starwood - Sheraton on the Park, The Westin Sydney

IHG - Holiday Inn Old Sydney, InterContinental Sydney, Holiday Inn Potts Point

All the hotels above are within close proximity to railway stations, convenient to eateries and attractions. Your choice would depend greatly on your budget, and availability as October is an extremely busy month. I'd highly recommend you book as early as possible.

You can gauge rates and availability using sites such as www.Wotif.com and www.Booking.com

Depending on whether the rate is qualifying, you'll still receive status and recognition from your various loyalty programs. But in such a busy month, it could be a matter of grabbing whatever is available at a suitable rate, rather than based on program status.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 16:17
USA
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for a meeting in Olympic Park

Holiday Inn Potts Point is about the only one that is affordable (under $200 Aus). I will go with that and the 35 minute commute.

Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for a meeting in Olympic Park

HI Potts Point will take you about an hour to get to SOP as it will take 2 trains & then a bus. From Town Hall (close to Hilton & SOP) it would be a bit quicker as it is 1 train then bus. The time KVE has given for you is when major sporting events etc. are on & there are direct trains to SOP unfortunately this isn't when you'll be travelling.

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for a meeting in Olympic Park

I have stayed at both the Pullman and the Novotel at Olympic Park, both are excellent hotels although the Pullman is superior.

Another suggestion for hotels close by is Parramatta. Only 10 minutes by train (if that). Plenty of choices.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for a meeting in Olympic Park

*late edit SOP in post #3 -1st & 3rd is for Sydney Olympic Park, 2nd for Sheraton On the Park!!

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for a meeting in Olympic Park

Actually there are regular train services to Olympic Park, as there are a number of office complexes there where people work. There are only DIRECT train services when there are events on, at other times all services to Olympic Park involve a change at Lidcombe.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,959 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for a meeting in Olympic Park

Actually, SOP is getting quite built up and busy these days. Lots of apartment buildings being built and more restaurants as well.

This guide shows what is available now: sydneyolympicpark.com.au/stay_eat_shop/resta…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,119 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay for a meeting in Olympic Park

My apologies, Mia is correct.

The travel time posted originally was from the Sydney CBD area, using a weekday parameter departing 7am from Town Hall as an example.

I've tried this again using Potts Point, with a 7am departure and the average is showing around 45 mins as it involves three trains.

131500.com.au/plan-your-trip/trip-planner…

Even with this extra travel time, for $100 per night difference over five nights - I would still commute

Edited: 11 September 2013, 03:28
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay for a meeting in Olympic Park

Have been in the same predicament having attended conferences out at Homebush. Stayed once but not much to do at night so other times have stayed in city and caught the train out which is easy to do. At least in the city you can go out and walk around the harbour, go to the movies, shop or whatever.

10. Re: Where to stay for a meeting in Olympic Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2014, 05:18