We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring - SIM card for GPS

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Touring - SIM card for GPS

Hi there,

We are landing in Sydney for two weeks in November, and are thinking of doing some tourings between Brisbane-Sydney or Sydney-Melbourne, to avoid being lost and ruin our first trip to Australia, we will looking for some sort of GPS, maybe a prepaid SIM card that can fits into my Samsung galaxy S4 mobile. Would anyone please share how to get a prepaid SIM card from Sydney airport? and which operator gives the best coverage even out in the wild? any recommendation will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm Free Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours
Blue Diamond Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Blue Mountains Tours
City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring - SIM card for GPS

Hi,

From Sydney airport, two celcos have their respective shops- Optus and Vodafone.

Between these two, will go for Optus.

Their prepaid rate plan-AUD2 days gives:-

Unlimited national voice calls to Australian mobiles and fixed lines, and 13/1800 numbers

Unlimited standard national SMS/MMS to Australian mobiles*

Unlimited mobile Internet browsing on your mobile handset within Australia.

Or if your S4 is of the LTE variant, then you can opt for their Prepaid Social, though LTE coverage is only limited in cities.

How wild will it be...in certain outbacks, celcos also have no coverage,and have to use satellite... though in this circumstances, I had found in my drive from WA(Busselton), with stops along the way,and to cities of Melbourne, Adelaide,Canberra then to Sydney- Telstra fits my requirement better than Optus in respect of signal stability.

Then am sure you know how to download the offline maps in Google MAPS 7.0.2, and Maps will cache the maps along the route in case you go offline during your trip.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,188 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring - SIM card for GPS

If you download an app such as co-pilot and get the Australia and New Zealand maps, you do not need wi-fi or cellular coverage to use them. i have used this in New Zealand so far with my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) in flight mode.

Once we leave Sydney and have a car, I will use it again. It takes some getting used to but it does work.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,210 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring - SIM card for GPS

You don't need a SIM card to use GPS. If your Samsung is equipped with GPS, it will know your exact position anywhere in the world. However, you will need to download Australian mapping for this to be useful.

You will need a SIM if you want to connect the Samsung to a phone network rather than relying on wifi.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring - SIM card for GPS

Thanks everyone. Very useful info!

5. Re: Touring - SIM card for GPS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2014, 06:19