We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brisbane to Sydney to Melbourne

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
4 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Brisbane to Sydney to Melbourne

My wife and are in our (early!) 50's and are looking to drive from Brisbane to Sydney to Melbourne, probably with our 20 year old daughter. Our current plan is as follows:

2 days in Brisbane (partly to get over jet lag as we will be travelling from Dubai)

1 day Lamington National Park

1 day Gold Coast

2 days Byron Bay

3 days Byron Bay to Sydney

4 day Sydney, including the Blue Mountains

5 days Sydney to Melbourne along the coast road including Philip Island and Dadenong Mountains

3 days in Melbourne

I'm concerned that we may feel that we spent all the time driving rather than seeing anything. Also, I'd like to travel the Ocean Road out from Melbourne but we don't have time.

I'm considering flying from Sydney to Melbourne and losing out on the drive between them, although we would still take a day trip to Philip Island.

Has anyone got any advice or faced a similar dilemma?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,404 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brisbane to Sydney to Melbourne

Firstly, what are planned travel dates (as holidays etc affect traffic, stops, accommodation etc) ? The total proposed trip is at least 2,000 kms so a fair bit of driving.

Firstly make sure you get a reasonable size hire car to soak up the distances.

Another comment would be to consider recovering from the jet lag down on the Gold Coast instead of Brisbane.

I would consider flying to Melbourne so that you fit in the GOR (this will need at least one night along the way).

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brisbane to Sydney to Melbourne

Hi sjpoll, it all depends on how much you like driving and whether you want to see more than the cities. For instance, with 3 days to get from Byron to Sydney equates to about 4 hours driving per day.

Flying Sydney/Melbourne does give you extra time for the GOR, but again you will miss some great countryside.

I like touring holidays, so given your time frame, I'd stick to the original plan

3. Re: Brisbane to Sydney to Melbourne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2014, 05:18