We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In search of tropical fruit, namely mangos

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
Level Contributor
90 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
In search of tropical fruit, namely mangos

Hi, we will be disembarking from a cruise ship, at CQ, on a Friday, (January). We are only in Sydney for one night, and are staying at CQ. Last year when we were in Sydney at this time, we purchased some delicious "mangos". We would like to try and buy some again and wondered if they now sold fresh fruits at the CQ Farmer's Market. I had read on older posts that it was mostly prepared food from the shops. If we can't get them at the market, where would the closest supplier be? We saw some lovely mangos at Paddy's Market but that may be a bit too far to walk, unless of course we took the free bus, but as time will be limited, we would prefer to find somewhere closer. Thanks for your help.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In search of tropical fruit, namely mangos

In January, you should be able to buy mangos in any supermarket, greengrocer or corner fruit stall, although quality and price may vary.

If I were a tourist in the Circular Quay area looking for good mangos, I'd probably go to the Fratelli Fresh on Bridge Street. They won't be cheap, but the quality will be very good. http://www.fratellifresh.com.au

Edited: 27 September 2013, 22:48
New Zealand
Level Contributor
90 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In search of tropical fruit, namely mangos

Thank you tattoosydney, I see Fratelli Fresh are not far from where we are staying so will be a good option.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,638 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In search of tropical fruit, namely mangos

You'll be able to buy mangoes everywhere that sells fruit in January, even a whole box pretty cheaply if you want that many. I have to be very careful when eating mangoes, the skin gives me a rash.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In search of tropical fruit, namely mangos

coles in george street (almost opposite Apple store), David Jones, Woolworths (opposite Town Hall)

Mangoes are delicious!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,925 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In search of tropical fruit, namely mangos

There's also a Coles supermarket on the mezzanine floor of Wynyard Station and there's a Woolwortgs supermarket in Margaret St behing Wynyard station. Both are a 5 minute walk from CQ.

If you want to buy a whole box cheaply, on a Friday you can go to Paddys Markets in Chinatown. The fruit and Veg is very cheap there, especially if you purchase a whole box.

Edited: 28 September 2013, 11:37
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
714 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In search of tropical fruit, namely mangos

There is a fruit stall at CQ in front of the AMP building near the bus stop. It's possible they might sell mangoes at that time. Wynyard the closest supermarket I think. There is also a fruit shop in the arcade near Wynyard station. If you have time a trip down to Paddys Markets/Chinatown would be fun and mangoes certainly available.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
90 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In search of tropical fruit, namely mangos

Thank you everyone for your advice. Greatly appreciated. I will print off your ideas and take them with us next year.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In search of tropical fruit, namely mangos

If you're only going to eat one mango or two in Sydney then I agree with Fratelli Fresh to ensure that your mango is top quality. You can even ask one of the staff there and explain your situation and I'm sure they will find the best and juiciest mango to remember your trip by!

The supermarkets are a bit of a hit and miss, and if you buy a crap mango then that would really suck.

Have fun!

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In search of tropical fruit, namely mangos

Fratelli Fresh staff are aweseome at all of there locations

10. Re: In search of tropical fruit, namely mangos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2014, 05:18