We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sending luggage from hotel to hotel

jakarta
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
Sending luggage from hotel to hotel

Hi all.....

Anybody had any experiences with that kind of service (sending a luggage or two from one hotel to another in different city)??

I will be traveling with 2 small children. It will be great if I can just concentrate on sightseeing instead of dragging my big suitcases from Sydney to Melbourne

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,834 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sending luggage from hotel to hotel

Used to be a common service between hotels of the same chain, about 20 years ago.

Nowadays, the concierges use couriers and I can say with confidence that you wouldn't want to know the prices.

They still do offer the service, on request - if you stay in the highest suites at Rack rate. The Park Hyatt and InterCon do.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,815 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sending luggage from hotel to hotel

So nothing like Japan with it's Takuhaiban service..................

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,834 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sending luggage from hotel to hotel

Haha yeah nothing like the Takuhaiban service. And all ths time, I thought your tag including Tokyo was just a name dy.

And I miss the old TCAT, when it used to be a full service pre-airport checkin counter. It's like an abandoned building now, only good as a taxi pickup point after the Airport Limousine shuttle....

jakarta
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sending luggage from hotel to hotel

Hi...

Yes, I used Yamato Ta-Q-bin 6 months ago in Tokyo. I am hoping there is something similar to that.

Anybody used UPS or DHL to deliver a suitcase? Or maybe a cheaper courier?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,485 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sending luggage from hotel to hotel

How are you getting between the two cities ? If you are driving - put the luggage in the car, if you are flying - wont it be on the flight with you ?

Courier costs are not cheap.

There is Aus Air Expree via Qantas Air Frieght qantas.com.au/qfreight/qfe/aaefreight/au/en

This site does a comparison between the most well known ones couriercomparison.com.au/interstate-couriers/

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,071 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sending luggage from hotel to hotel

>>How are you getting between the two cities ? If you are driving - put the luggage in the car, if you are flying - wont it be on the flight with you ?<<

Yes.

>>It will be great if I can just concentrate on sightseeing instead of dragging my big suitcases from Sydney to Melbourne<<

I don't really see how it impedes the sightseeing part of your trip? How are you getting your luggage from/to Jakarta?

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
jakarta
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sending luggage from hotel to hotel

Hi.......

So this is the current "rough" plan:

4 of us (me, wife, 2 small children) with 4 suitcases for 8 days vacation in 2 cities (Sydney-Melbourne).

Will arrive in Sydney first, riding taxi to hotel somewhere near CBD (swissotel looks nice).

After 3 days in Sydney, back to Airport, fly to Melbourne. Not yet know which airline.

Same drill in Melbourne. Riding taxi from/to airport.

After 4 days, go back home from Melbourne Airport.

So, I think the problems "might" come up because:

1. The trunk of regular size taxi will not fit 4 regular size suitcases with 4 passenger + 1 taxi driver. I will have to choose bigger taxi if this question has no solution and that is additional expenditure (x 4 way).

2. Domestic Airline will not take suitcase with weight of more than 20kg without additional charge. If I can reduce all my suitcases to less than 20kg and send the excess baggage with this courier service....then it will be a saving. (Assuming the cost of this service is not too expensive).

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney Hotel CBD
Sydney Hotel CBD
253 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,071 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sending luggage from hotel to hotel

What are you carrying?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
24,374 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sending luggage from hotel to hotel

Are you flying with Jetstar? I would bet it will be cheaper to upgrade your luggage costs than it will be to get your luggage couriered...........

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,834 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sending luggage from hotel to hotel

I agree with YF.

I would advance purchase extra luggage for your flights, it will be immensely cheaper than couriering it to Melbourne and back.

1. Yes the Swissotel is nice and great location.

2. Ask for a station wagon at the airport, the rank supervisor will get one for you. Do the same when going from hotel. Get the Bell Captain downstairs to order you a station wagon.

Problem solved.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Swissotel Sydney
Swissotel Sydney
2,330 Reviews
Sydney, Australia