We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

James Craig or Vagabond NYE

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
James Craig or Vagabond NYE

Hi

I started to look into this right at the beginning of the year and am still struggling to make a decision. We have ruled out Captain Cook due to reviews that mention overcrowding, poor food. I keep seeing good reviews for the James Craig which is 550Aud (its since gone up in price but they have agreed to honour the price we were given a few months ago). At the same price is Vagabond, but they have different ships. Some cheaper, however I have not been able to confirm anywhere which ships are in the Harbour of Lights, but I believe the James Craig always is.

If anyone can help, that would be great. We really want to get something booked before the prices increase.

Thank

Wentworth Falls...
Level Contributor
172 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: James Craig or Vagabond NYE

James Craig is very unique and my vote, Vagabond is just another captain cook but older boats

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: James Craig or Vagabond NYE

Does the James Craig leave the wharf? if not its a waste of time - as the midnight fireworks focus on Darling Harbour but the 9pm fireworks are middle of the harbour

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: James Craig or Vagabond NYE

Oh, I don't know. I will have to email them. Thanks for raising this, it's not something that occurred me me. I know they are in the Hstbour of Lights.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: James Craig or Vagabond NYE

I have found this on their website.

For the midnight fireworks the vessel will be anchored between the Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge for absolutely exclusive front row viewing!

An extensive buffet of food and beverages, supplied by Earth Catering, is included in the ticket price. The 3 piece band Venus will entertain you throughout the evening combining a large range of instruments, and an enormous fun playlist of music from retro classic, reggae to R&B, funk and groove.

Boarding from Wharf 7, 58 Pirrama Road, Pyrmont at 1900 sharp, 
return to Wharf 7 at approximately 0100.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,270 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: James Craig or Vagabond NYE

The James Craig is a restored sailing ship. The only slight problem could be if there was rain you may be exposed to the weather. The advantages are a large deck to move around on and easy access to view the fireworks in the sky. I am also most certain the JC does the Harbour of Lights.\

It would be my pick over the Vagabond (and the one review I found for NYE was very poor).

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: James Craig or Vagabond NYE

Thanks, I think it will be the James Craig, it's the only consistently good reviews I've read, unless anyone else has any other suggestions.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: James Craig or Vagabond NYE

Another vote for James Craig.

The main midnight fireworks are all centred on the bridge/Opera House area not DH (as mentioned in post #2) so you will have an amazing view!

it would be lovely if you could give some feedback of your experience afterwards please :)

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,829 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: James Craig or Vagabond NYE

I certainly will! Sooo excited.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: James Craig or Vagabond NYE

Yes, James Craig... if it rains, so what... It gets my vote

Bundaberg, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: James Craig or Vagabond NYE

I have also chosen the James Craig for NYE this year after reading a handful of really positive reviews (no negative ones found to date!!). I'm so excited and really looking forward to it - see you there!!