We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italian Village - New years eve - HELP

Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Italian Village - New years eve - HELP

Hello,

Me and my husband are going to Sydney for NYE this year. This will be our first time in Sydney. I have searched the internet for some options on where to eat and see the firework. I thought that the restaurant Italian village had an interesting offer $269 for drinks, canapees & DJ's all evening. Just wondered if anyone had some experience with this place? First of all - do we get a good view of the firework from there? What would you guess the average age there will be? We are in our late twenties so want somewhere where it will be at least some people our age.

Hoping for help!

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Sydney Ghost Walking Tour
50 Reviews
from US$28.20*
The Rocks Walking Tour in Sydney
178 Reviews
from US$25.00*
Sydney Bike Tours
603 Reviews
from US$77.50*
The Rocks Pub Walking Tour
42 Reviews
from US$70.40*
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,611 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italian Village - New years eve - HELP

Do you see fireworks? Yes.

What would be the average age of patrons on NYE? Anybody's guess.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,090 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italian Village - New years eve - HELP

You will see fireworks BUT you wont be "in front" of the bridge if that is important to you.

Age group is usually a big mix.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,190 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italian Village - New years eve - HELP

Sounds like a reasonably priced option in a great location to me!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,670 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italian Village - New years eve - HELP

The Opera House is usually regarded as the premium location as faces the Bridge (then being on a boat) to view the fireworks etc. The Rocks where the Italian Village is will be packed with people so hope you like crowds. And you really can't see the fireworks going off the Bridge but there are barges in the harbour firing fireworks to see.

Note probably 95% of people do not pay to see the fireworks but just rely on going to their usual viewing location (I have never paid or been to an organised function for NYE). Obviously this doesn't help visitors and the forum gets very little feedback from people who have paid for the night.

Mentioned in this post
The Rocks
The Rocks
7,510 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italian Village - New years eve - HELP

Thank you so much for your response. Will it be easy to get around on NYE though? Is there an option to have some dinner etc in surry hills then just walk down for the firework?

Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italian Village - New years eve - HELP

Hi again, thank you so much for your response. Will I see the bridge at all? And what about the opera house, will I see that?

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italian Village - New years eve - HELP

^^^^

Yes, most casual restaurants are open on NYE so you can have a late dinner first.

As for walking down to see the fireworks, you'll need to do some research RE viewing locations. Circular Quay will be packed out early in the afternoon, as will Mrs Macquarie's Chair. You'd be better off aiming for places like Blues Point, Balls Head, Birchgrove, Mort Bay Park Balmain, Pyrmont - taxis are pretty easy to find before the fireworks and there will be heaps of extra public transport

Mentioned in this post
Circular Quay
Circular Quay
3,469 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Mrs Macquarie's Chair
Mrs Macquarie's Chair
1,088 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Balmain
Balmain
Sydney, Australia
sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Italian Village - New years eve - HELP

have a look at google maps.

The Italian village is on the western side of Campbells Cove (also known as Circular Quay. You look out north east towards the Opera House and the main channel of the harbour towards Kirribilli House.

You will see lots of fireworks.

you will not see the bridge - but you will see the fireworks that explode way above the bridge and west of the bridge.

The waterfall effect or any other fireworks that use the bridge you will not see.

Mentioned in this post
Quay Restaurant
Quay Restaurant
1,805 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,090 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Italian Village - New years eve - HELP

Actually you can see some of the bridge from the series of restaurants there as there is no real high rise to block the full view.. you can see the fireworks that explode from the top and some of the side.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Italian Village - New years eve - HELP

IN summary very few spots will include vision of everything, the best recommendation I could give for NYE would be on a boat in the harbour, that way you are front and central.

If you choose a land base option, you will certainly have an amazing night, but you will not see every firework.

The area that the fireworks are set off is huge - as the harbour is a big place, and many hundreds of thousands flock to the shores, so they have expanded the display area.