We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our 2 Week Aussie Trip Oct 6 - 19

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maui
Level Contributor
2,291 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Our 2 Week Aussie Trip Oct 6 - 19

Sunday Oct 6

Arrived Sunday at 7:30 pm after a ten hour flight from Honolulu. Took a cab $48 via the Eastern Distributor, which costs more because of the toll. We just wanted to get to our room. Checked in to Sir Stamford at Circular Quay where we had a room on the second floor overlooking the park. The windows were double pane, and one could not hear traffic at all. Great room with a big tub, and marble bathroom. I had originally planned to stay near Hyde Park, but the place was booked when I went to reserve. Tossed around staying in that area or moving closer to the Opera House. So glad I did. I just loved being in the "thick of things". Close to the ferry was great.

Walked down to the train/ferry terminal area for a quick bite to eat at Ship Inn. Had a toasted sandwich and something to drink. Order at the bar and they will bring it out. Good food. We didn't stay out and enjoy the warm evening as it was late, 9:00 pm, but our bodies said midnight!

Monday Oct 7

Walked over to an outdoor place in the rocks area called Playfair Café on Playfair St. for breakfast. Met the owners, who plan on calling us next time they vacation on Maui. Great breakfast and coffee. Be sure to take cash, as they don't have a credit card machine. The ferry terminal was buzzing with people coming off of a Carnival cruise ship. Near this were purple trees in bloom. They look like the Jacaranda that grows in our upcountry area.

Took the Manly Ferry over for a beautiful ride and to get lunch. We ate at Fish Monger's. Their prices were more than some in the area, but the quality was there. The area was super busy with the holiday and a jazz festival going on. The beach was packed. The ferry was crowed, but managed well.

This was the night that I had made a reservation for dinner at Oxford Social. We took the bus from Circular Quay, to Oxford St @ Palmer. Only three stops to get there, and the bus stop was almost outside their door. The food was some of the best that we had on our vacation. If you like chocolate, order their tart.

Tuesday Oct 8th

This was our day to try and relax and for me to possibly get over my jet lag. We headed down to the Opera House and walked around the Botanical Garden. Never did make it to Mrs. Mac's chair. Since we were staying right across the street, figured we could do it another day. We had nice weather the whole time we were in Sydney. The mornings were chilly to us, since we are use to 26c -80f mostly. Our condo rarely gets below 22c-71f. I wore a hooded sweatshirt most mornings.

I tried to find this café called the Glass House café that I had read about. Once we located it (at the library) we found out it "use" to be a café. Now it only has pre-pared food. Ended up at a café called the Red Rose. It was just ok. We each had a burger. I thought the meat was dry and ????, not sure if it was 100% beef. We were very hungry, so anything tasted good at that point. We walked around George St. and came upon part of the Royal AU Navy Memorial Service in Martin Place. We listened to the band for a short time. It was moving, as my father in law and other close relatives have served in the United States Navy.

I had looked at reviews for restaurants that had decent ratings and that wouldn't break the $$ bank. I also wanted to eat at places close by to where we stayed. We walked about 10 mins. to this Chinese place called Celestial Chinese. Not another person in there. When I asked if it was because we were dining early, 5:45 pm, our waitress said mostly lunch crowd and tour busses. The egg rolls were good, but our sizzling platter of beef, shrimp and chicken was so so. Very oily, but tasted good. They did have a really nice Koi pond inside.

Thursday Oct 10

Today is our day to leave Sydney and head up to the Northern Territory for our next stop at Uluru.

We walked down to the terminal area for breakfast before our flight. Ate at Settlement On Quay. Nice place with good eggs and toast. We decided to cab it to the airport instead of the train. We had to be there at 9:30 am. We left Circular Quay area at 8:45 am. The fare was less, as there is no fee to use the Expressway going towards the airport.

Hint: The tap water is really good in Sydney, in fact most places we went had good tasting water. Just ask for "tap" water and they will serve it in a glass bottle. I thought that was nice.

More to follow..........not sure why/how these last two parts were switched around, as I wrote about Wed first. Ghost on the board.

Wednesday Oct 9

Today was going to be the day that I had planned on doing the National Pass walk. Hubby's knee has been acting up, and the shot he took prior to the trip did not really do anything. We got an Egg & Ham MacMuffin at MacDonalds, since we had planned on eating at the Observation Café after the walk. In the USA, an Egg MacMuffin comes with ham automatically. As we were discussing on whether or not to go, I discovered that I had left my sunglasses in the room Since we would have missed the 9:00 train, we decided to bag it.

Plan B.....Let's go to the Zoo! Took the ferry over. Be sure and get the ticket of admission along with the bus or cable car up to the top. I guess you could walk, but we were not in the mood for the trek up. You do end up walking back down, as the zoo is built on a hill. I never saw a bus that went back down, but once you exit, it is only a couple of minutes to the ferry.

What a Zoo. Nice displays and interaction talks, etc. We were treated to a fly by of Huey Helicopters (14) of them in formation. It was International Fleet Review week. This one chimpanzee that was outside got really upset over the noise. It came and hit the window to their indoor area. When you get back to Circular Quay, you have to put your ticket in the machine to get out. If you need your ticket (for a receipt), go through the wide exit. You can just show your ticket, otherwise the machine will keep it. I know we did walk a lot at the zoo, but not the steps into the Pass had we done that. That is the only thing this trip that I really wished we could have done, but I love my husband more. We were saving his knee for Uluru later in the week.

We walked over to the rocks area for dinner at The Glenmore. Sat outside on the roof with a view. Oh my, what a view of the Opera House and surrounding area. Great Fish n Chips. If you walk under the bridge to get there, be sure and take the staircase going right up to Cumberland St. It is about half way up the hill as you walk under the roadway leading to the bridge.

We didn't, but were treated to a nice stroll through the neighborhood to back track. Walked by very old houses and apartments. Lovely.

Coming next is Uluru.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,793 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our 2 Week Aussie Trip Oct 6 - 19

Looks like you made the most of it.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,386 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our 2 Week Aussie Trip Oct 6 - 19

Thanks for reporting. Nice work.

Those purple trees you saw probably were Jacarandas. They are beautiful when in flower and look especially good next to a Flame Tree (red flowers).

3. Re: Our 2 Week Aussie Trip Oct 6 - 19

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2014, 06:20