We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to Holiday Inn potts point

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
4 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to Holiday Inn potts point

Hi all

Would be arriving in Sydney on 26th 7.30 am from Canada. Planning to be out by approx 9 am.

Plan to reach Holiday inn potts point (which I understand is close to kings cross station)

however google maps do not show a train go to kings cross at 9.am..

the only option appears to be bus. as i have a 4 year old with me, was hoping that the train would take me close to the hotel

in a previous post, it was adviced to take a train to central station and change to bondi line and towards kings cross

any body knows why i couldnt find the train option?

thanks for the help in advance

v

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,214 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to Holiday Inn potts point

>>>Would be arriving in Sydney on 26th 7.30 am from Canada. Planning to be out by approx 9 am<<<

You're checking into a hotel for an hour and a half?

I'm guessing you've chosen this property as its a points redemption, and the two other Holiday Inns weren't available?

As long as you aren't roaming the streets at night, the Potts Point property is reasonably nice.

Yes you can catch the train to Kings Cross, you just have to change trains. The station is below the hotel.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 00:01
Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
4 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to Holiday Inn potts point

sorry! Exiting the airport by 9.am. staying in sydney for 5 days.

when i enter the airport and hotel in google maps, it gives me a directions to go in train half way and the rest via bus.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to Holiday Inn potts point

Although the hotel calls itself Potts Point, it is actually in Kings Cross. A lot of hotels in the area do that. Kings Cross is not such a great address given its red light and nightclub district reputation.

That may be where the Google Map confusion comes from.

If you are traveling with a child, you will probably be in your room quite early so those aspects wont bother you.

As KVE pointed out, there's a subway station almost under the HI.

You can change trains from the Airport line to the Eastern Suburbs Line at either Central, Town Hall or Wolli Creek stations.

Personally, I would choose Wolli Creek (just one stop going away from the city) - its a smaller, more navigable station. Central is big and busy and its easy to get to the wrong platform. To get to Town Hall you have to go all the way round the City Circle and Town Hall station is also difficult to navigate if you don't know where you are going with platforms on multiple levels.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 00:25
Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
4 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to Holiday Inn potts point

thanks a lot.

How early do you recommend that we retire into our rooms to be safe.

The reviews about the hotel were really good on trip advisor.

But is it unsafe just in front of the hotel or are the unsafe elements situated in a different street or area that we can avoid altogether ?

thanks

Oz
Level Contributor
12,398 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to Holiday Inn potts point

Hi,

Like our young athletes are told "nothing good happens in licensed premises after midnight". Up to 2300 hrs shouldn't be a problem providing you use the usual "big city" cautions/safeguards.

Given the Police presence in the area you are much safer there than many areas of the CBD and considerably safer than much of outer suburbs.

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,634 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport to Holiday Inn potts point

At check-in ask for a higher room to avoid possible noise (particularly on the weekend). The area around Macleay St has restaurants, interesting shops (this is the Potts Point end). During the day the area has a relaxed feel but weekend night can get very crowded as revellers travel in for a night out at the bars and clubs.

Also after a long flight I personally would catch a taxi to your hotel (direct, weekend traffic, easier). Have you arranged/booked early check-in or just dropping bags ?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,214 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport to Holiday Inn potts point

Great points from everyone above.

Although there's an open bar/cafe area to the left of the entry, the hotel is just tucked away enough from the main strip, to get minimal street traffic, so there's hardly any issues at all at that property.

And I'm not surprised at all about the good reviews, albeit the location, the actual room and overall product is superior in my view, to their more higher profile Holiday Inn's at the Rocks and Darling Harbour.

Sydney, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport to Holiday Inn potts point

Just so you know, there will be trackwork on the line you would need to travel on. so its going to take around an hour to catch a train and a bus to get to your destination.

sydneytrains.info/service_updates/…

You would be better off to get any train that goes to Central from the airport and then follow the signs to the rail buses.

I think it would be easier for you to just catch a cab. Kings Cross is only around 20km at the most from the airport. The tickets from the airport are about $17 one way as those stations are privately owned so i dont think there would not be much of a cost difference.

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
4 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport to Holiday Inn potts point

Thank you very much. All you were really helpful

I may take a cab from the airport. Also plan to buy a mymulti 3 for ferry to the manly sea sanctuary plus travel in city

Sydney, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport to Holiday Inn potts point

Enjoy your holiday :)