We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in March 2014

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend in March 2014

Hi all,

I'm coming to Sydney for a quick visit at the end of March 2014 for a bit of sightseeing and the footy.

Arriving Friday March 28th at 12:55pm and leaving Sunday March 30th at 5pm. My brother is currently living in Sydney and my Dad is coming up a few days earlier, so I have a bit of time allocated with them already.

My basic ideas at the moment are:

FRIDAY

- QVB, Paddy's Market, Pitt St Mall for shopping

- Darling Harbour - will probably stay around here for dinner

SATURDAY

- Circular Quay, The Rocks (incl the markets), Botanic Gardens

- dinner + footy at ANZ Stadium with Dad and brother

SUNDAY

- brunch/lunch with Dad and brother

I wouldn't mind fitting in some sort of ferry ride, but I haven't figured out where that could go yet.

I'm wanting to stay in the CBD and I will be staying alone. Most hotels I've looked at seem to be quite expensive (it's probably too early to be looking though). Am I likely to find anything for $150 or less at this time that would be convenient for my Friday and Saturday? I don't need 5-star luxury but I don't want a hostel. I'm happy to spend a bit more if I need to, I just don't know what a realistic budget is!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in March 2014

To give you an idea on Sydney prices for 28/29 March, the Sydney Central YHA is currently $132 pn per www.wotif.com.au. In fact location is good for Darling Harbour and getting to/from ANZ stadium (as near Central railway) and access to/from airport via train.

$230pn will get you the Sofitel which is nearer the Harbour/Opera House and is a proper hotel. And be careful waiting as Saturday nights in Sydney are often booked up and will be more expensive.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,762 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in March 2014

Hi,

Yes, unfortunately March weekends are extremely busy and I cannot see the prices dropping at all. In fact there is every likelihood that the rates will increase, so if your flights are already booked, I would try and secure a hotel reservation as soon as possible. A realistic nightly rate for March weekend, would be $150-175 for 3 Star, and $175-200 for 4 Star.

Just a couple of thoughts, a good chunk you'd already know as a local and also as you have family here;

- Paddys isn't like QVM in Melbourne, so don't expect brilliant food there.

- A ferry ride would be a highlight. If time doesn't permit a lengthy one like Manly, maybe an inner Harbour round trip like Mosman would be a great 'sampler'

- Dinner around Darling Harbour, be sure to browse the newer Darling Park precinct

- Dinner on footy night, personally, I'd be tempted to either eat early or late back in the city, and not at Olympic Park. Unless you're thinking of doing the whole pie and beer thing at the game.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,149 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in March 2014

Weekends are expensive year round in Sydney due largely to demand, I would definitely not wait to book if your dates are certain.

Novotel Sydney Central currently has a stay 2 & save deal on wotif (I haven't checked the hotel website but you'll probably find a similar deal) for $182 pn. It is near Central Station.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in March 2014

Thanks to you all - I thought I was looking too soon for a hotel, but it seems that's not the case at all. I will get onto booking something asap!

I am going to go and have a look for that Novotel Sydney Central deal now, and also keep the Sofitel in mind. If I can't find much under $200 anyway, I may as well pay a little bit more for a bit of a splurge.

KVE1005 - my brother and I wouldn't mind doing the whole pie and beer thing at the footy but my Dad wouldn't hear of it ;) I did think we'd probably have to eat early, even if we just have something light before the game and something light again after. And thanks for the tip about the new Darling Park precinct and the ferry suggestion. I'm hoping our Sunday plans are decided with enough time for me to fit in a ferry ride in before or after that.

I'll have to book in a couple more Sydney trips next year I think. I haven't visited properly (ie. not for work) for YEARS, which is really quite pathetic seeing as I'm only a 90min plane ride away, and there is a fair bit I want to see and do!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,762 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend in March 2014

>>>I am going to go and have a look for that Novotel Sydney Central deal now, and also keep the Sofitel in mind. If I can't find much under $200 anyway, I may as well pay a little bit more for a bit of a splurge<<<

If you're going to up your budget towards the $200 per night range, your options is going to open up considerably. Mia's suggestion is good value, and DY's suggestion for the Sofitel at $212/$228 is amazing value for a 5 Star. The Sofitel is distinctly underpriced for that market, and in fact I'd go as far as saying their rates haven't been calculated very carefully. $25-50 swing for similar prices in their competitor set is understandable, but the variance is nearly $100-$125 against similar standard hotels.

Others for your dates;

Pullman Sydney Hyde Park -$181/$223

Mercure Sydney Central - $177/$185

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend in March 2014

Thanks again for the suggestions here.

Plans have now changed with my Dad deciding to get a hotel in the city (he originally planned to stay with my brother) and he suggested we go for a 2 bedroom apartment the nights I'm there - we're now going to look at the cost of apartment style places with a studio / single room for him on the Wed and Thurs then a 2 bedroom on the Fri and Sat.

I've done a Google and forum search and noted Adina, Meriton, Oaks, Quest, Mantra to look at tomorrow...are there any other places that offer a 2 bedroom option in the CBD?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,762 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend in March 2014

I'm sure you're probably aware, but a caution that a two bedroom is not the same as a room with two beds. And that being said, in March, I'd guess a two bedroom would be reaching the $450-500 range

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend in March 2014

Oh no I know I know a 2 bedroom = 2 seperate rooms, that's what we're after.

Will look at prices tomorrow. I was expecting up to $500 but if 2 rooms would cost close to that anyway we might pay a bit more to be in the same place (would also make it easier for my brother to meet us etc).

Edited: 05 November 2013, 11:50
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,762 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekend in March 2014

Yes, absolutely makes sense.

You've listed all the most recommended apartments, so definitely take a look.

I was glancing through Wotif for your dates to see if anything really stood out for value, and something caught my eye. This is only a recommendation IF all the others are about the $450-500 mark.

Radisson Hotel & Suites have their largest room - 2 Bedroom Suite at $520/night. Two bathroom, balcony, large lounge and kitchen. Listed at 92sq m it's almost triple the average hotel room size in Sydney.

Again, only if the others are in the same range, it's great value.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weekend in March 2014

are you signed up for emails from hotel booking sites. i have recently had 10, 15, 20% discount offers from hotelclub and ratestogo. i monitor the sites enough to know these were genuine discounts of their regular selling prices.

booking.com is another good option