We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Blue Mountains from Sydney...Friday or Saturday?

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Blue Mountains from Sydney...Friday or Saturday?

Hello,

We will be in Sydney (1st time from Canada) on Friday December 20, and Saturday December 21, before a cruise departing on Sunday 22.

We will have a rental car, and are staying at the Marriott Circular Quay.

We were thinking of spending one day exploring Sydney, Bridge Climb, Opera House Tour etc... and one day driving out of the city to possibly the Blue Mountains, and hopefully encounter a few Kangaroos somewhere.

The question I have is which day do you think it would be best to travel to the Mountains etc., and which day to stay in the city?

I was thinking about trying to avoid as much traffic and crowds as possible.

I assume it would be busier in the city on Friday with rush hour traffic, but it might be far more crowded in the mountains on a Saturday?

Any advice on which day to do which would be greatly appreciated as we would like to pre book the bridge for either Friday or Saturday morning. (Both are available)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,406 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Blue Mountains from Sydney...Friday or Saturday?

Hi,

Just a quick one.

I wouldn't advise you rent your car until the day you're driving up to the mountains. Aside from car rental cost for an extra day, you're also paying for Valet Parking. Could save you $125+

If you haven't booked already or your car rental is flexible, if change it. Also for your benefit, Sydney Harbour Marriott has an Avis office on the driveway, so maybe handy rather than going to pick it up.

On second thoughts, you only have two days in Sydney, you really want to use one day up at the mountains?

Edited: 05 November 2013, 19:20
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Blue Mountains from Sydney...Friday or Saturday?

Thank you for your reply...

I have a rate at the hotel which includes valet parking and breakfast. So parking cost is not an issue.

There are three of us travelling, and I have rented the car at the airport AVIS and will be turning it in at the Marriot location. This way we also save the cost of transportation (x3) from the airport to the hotel, so the car rental is actually quite reasonable.

We arrive at 9:00 am on Thursday, so I figure we can see some of Sydney the first day, plus one other full day. Do you not think we should go to the mountains? We were kind of hoping to see a little of Australia outside the city. I hear they are beautiful, but we are certainly open to suggestions. We have never been to Australia before and want to see as much as possible. I figured that this would give us time to see the opera house, do the bridge climb, walk around the rocks and also see some things outside the city.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,406 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Blue Mountains from Sydney...Friday or Saturday?

Very well planned. Knowing all that, I wouldn't change anything. Provided you cover a fair bit on your first and last days, and the weather favorable, then absolutely go to the mountains.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Blue Mountains from Sydney...Friday or Saturday?

Fantastic!

But I really wanted to know which DAY to do the mountains trip?

Friday or Saturday. I could go either day and stay in Sydney the other.

Would traffic or crowds be worse on a Friday or Saturday? Or is there really no difference?

Thanks again...

And any suggestions as to what to see would be welcome.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Blue Mountains from Sydney...Friday or Saturday?

Saturday prior to Christmas the traffic could be just as crazy in the city as weekday. Friday peak hour you will be going against the heavier traffic flows, and you could time your return for later evening to avoid afternoon rush. Consider dinner outside the CBD for an even later return. With almost 3 full days certainly include the mountains.

Edited: 05 November 2013, 20:02
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Blue Mountains from Sydney...Friday or Saturday?

Thank you.. from your post I am assuming that you think we should probably plan to do the trip to the mountains on Friday, and then stay outside the city for dinner to let the traffic settle down.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,438 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Blue Mountains from Sydney...Friday or Saturday?

The Saturday is the first day of the 'whole' school holidays (government schools) - students finish on Wednesday 18th but staff do not finish till Friday 20th (and many families may opt to take the Monday & tuesday immediately before xmas as part of their annual leave) so that Saturday could be a major travel day for many families.

I'd visit on the Friday

cheers

helen

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,821 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Blue Mountains from Sydney...Friday or Saturday?

Sydney traffic is just as bad on Saturday as during the week, however the crowds at attractions like Scenic World and Echo point may be marginally less during the week, although school holidays will have started by then. At least on a week day you will be going against the worst of the traffic, so my choice would lean towards Friday. I'd also watch the weather forecasts. If one of the two days is going to be really hot or raining be prepared to change the days. You'll be outside most of the time so a pleasant day is important.

I wouldn't bother worrying about the traffic too much. It's less anyway as people have already started to go on holidays.

There's not really any place to stop on the way back as you will be on a freeway. Just wait and have a late supper when you get back to the city.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,808 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Blue Mountains from Sydney...Friday or Saturday?

The drive to the BM is about 1.5 hours without stops. Driving on Friday means traffic to/from the BM but still less 'chaotic' than the Saturday before Xmas. And head back for dinner in the city in a nearby pub or near the harbour (as not much on the way back).

look at www.whereis.com au to map your trip

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,641 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Blue Mountains from Sydney...Friday or Saturday?

Have you driven on the left hand side of the road before? Good luck with dealing with everything being opposite in a busy city!

I personally would go to the Blue Mountains on Friday. I have been to Katoomba on a weekend trying to get a ride on the cable cars and such and there were huge line ups for everything.