We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

picking up rental car- public transport

maryland
Level Contributor
62 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
picking up rental car- public transport

Hello! We are arriving in Sydney on Jan.30th and will spend 2 days there before starting our car journey up the coast to Pt.Stephens (and beyond). We'd like to put off renting our car until we're ready to leave Sydney- Is it possible to take a train to the Newcastle area and then rent a car there? Any suggestions as to how we would do that? If it's too difficult then we can simply go back to the Sydney airport and rent our car there, just trying to avoid going back that way, also might help us avoid some congested driving areas. We are looking at staying in either Bondi Beach or near the Circular Quay.

Thank you for any advice!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,199 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: picking up rental car- public transport

Hi

Have you already booked your rental?

All the major car rental companies have offices in the city, so there should be no reason to head back out to the airport. Wise idea not to have a car whilst in Sydney, public transport is fine and parking expensive.

I personally wouldn't bother carting your luggage all the way to Newcastle to pickup a rental.

Accommodation in the city areas CBD, Circular Quay or the Rocks is most convenient.

Edited: 12 November 2013, 18:34
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,638 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: picking up rental car- public transport

William St Sydney is where the major hire companies have offices but there are other pick up points (apart from the airport and Newcastle). I wouldn't bother staying near Bondi as limited choice in accommodation.

maryland
Level Contributor
62 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: picking up rental car- public transport

thank you, I haven't made my rental reservations so I'll see if I can pick up in city rather than back out to airport!

maryland
Level Contributor
62 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: picking up rental car- public transport

Thanks for your advice,

I am waiting to hear back from a place at Bondi that looks nice and has good reviews on Lonely Planet guide. I am not heart set on staying there, but love the beach and not so much a city person so thought this might be an appropriate place. I'm all ears for any advice! Thank you !

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,199 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: picking up rental car- public transport

Absolutely your prerogative of course, but having only two nights in Sydney, how much of that time are you going to be spending on the beach, as opposed to sightseeing around the city? And in the event of bad weather?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,125 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: picking up rental car- public transport

and in the event it is NYE?

It might be take what you can get in your price range :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,131 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: picking up rental car- public transport

30th January GW ;-)

Another vote for not staying at Bondi if you're only staying 2 nights & not ever visited Sydney before, CQ or central Sydney/Darling harbour would be better choices IMHO.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: picking up rental car- public transport

Bondi Beach requires a relatively slow often crowded bus ride from/to Bondi Juction train (or the bus the entire route via Oxford St). If the accommodation suits do it but be aware of the travel times.

Collecting a rental car at airport incurs a hefty premium location surchange not applied in city or suburban locations.

Compare Hertz. Thrifty. Avis and others online for best price. No one consistently comes up cheapest for me.

maryland
Level Contributor
62 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: picking up rental car- public transport

thank you- great advice! We went ahead and booked for a hotel in Wooloomooloo (interesting name!!)so we can be in a little more convenient place- and ferry to Bondi if we like.

Appreciate all the feedback- specifically, hadn't realized the surcharge for picking up rental car at the airport- definitely will have to try to get one outside of there.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,638 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: picking up rental car- public transport

And there are no ferries to Bondi (only a bus, car or walk)........there is a ferry to Manly from Circular Quay.