We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

etihad flights???

Which Sydney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
125 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
etihad flights???

We are thinking of flying with Etihad from Manchester to Sydney via Abu Dhabi. Can anyone let me know if you have any experience of flying with them. As its a long flight I want to make sure we pick the right flight company?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,406 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: etihad flights???

Best to check Skytrax www.airlinequality.com

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,915 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: etihad flights???

I flew with Etihad from Melbourne to Heathrow and back a couple of months ago. I quite enjoyed the flight and the seats were far comfier than my previous flight with Singapore. We had a few problems with last minute changes and we found their staff at Heathrow were quite excellent at helping us out.

Abu Dhabi airport is a bit barren. Make sure you get a short connection time.

Luigi

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: etihad flights???

Hi,

Flew in August on the same route etc from Manchester. We had nights stopover in Abu Dhabi both ways so the long flight to and from Sydney was ok ish.

The good. The flights with Etihad were excellent, all the staff were very good, food good, comfy seats in economy and we got a good price. Upgraded to business on flight to Sydney and this again was excellent, if fact it was better than that. Did Virgin Aus from Sydney to Abu Dhabi and they too were good, not as good as Etihad but good although the business class looked a bit tight and did not have proper beds that lie flat.

The bad. Abu Dhabi airport is not the best in the world. It can be chaotic at times. When you arrive, you enter the terminal and we did so via the duty free area....and then you realise that the arrivals and departures are in the same area, if that makes sense. The other bad thing is do not expect the Etihad customer service to be anything other then not very good in my experience. Be it at Manchester or Abu Dhabi, they seem not to care if the customer is right or not. As I say very poor indeed..they need to address this area or risk losing business.

The question is would I travel with them again. Probably yes but the wife...maybe not!!!

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: etihad flights???

Hi

Etihad are fine same same as Emirates.

Take a look at Virgin Austraila site, they code share, so the same flight can be substantially cheaper. I saved 1000 quid, so worth a look

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,826 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: etihad flights???

It depends on what class you plan on booking. My sister and I flew from Sydney to Manchester with them last year - 3 legs in First and 1 in business (they don't have a first class cabin on flights into Manchester, unfortunately). We thought they were fantastic, in every respect. My husband flew to Lebanon with them a few months ago, in economy and he said he wouldn't use them again (but his main complaints were he didn't particularly like the food choices and there were crying babies on board - well, these things happen with every airline, not just Etihad ...).

I can't comment on economy class, because I haven't flown that class with them. We definitely will fly with them again for our 2015 trip to the UK - but this time we'll fly into LHR so we get 4 legs in First.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: etihad flights???

I've flown twice with Etihad from Frankfurt and from Brussels to Sydney and they were very good, but that was in business class and I've no experience with economy class.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,821 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: etihad flights???

One advantage is that by purchasing a Virgin ticket, you can get your internal flights on the same ticket and possibly save quite a bit.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: etihad flights???

Hi. I just flew Sydney to Abu Dhabi on etihad. I flew economy. It is a 15 hour flight! The staff were friendly and the food kept coming - 2 hot meals and lots of snacks. The seat pitch is bad - I'm a slim 6ft and I could only just fit my knees into the space provided! The complimentary blanket is a wonderful fleecy thing - so so cosy!

There is a huge AVOD screen, but I wasn't that impressed with the movie selection.

If you look online you will see a lot of reviewers echo these thoughts.

Abu Dhabi was nothing special but it has free wifi and lots of charging sockets for laptops and phones. The sockets are British style 3 pin style, which is helpful if coming from the UK.

Enjoy!

Abs :)

9. Re: etihad flights???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2014, 05:17