We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap shop in Sydney to buy blanket that later throws away?

England, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap shop in Sydney to buy blanket that later throws away?

Hi,

Probably sounds like a strange request! We are in Sydney for NYE and will be sat on stone steps for the place we will be spending New Year. Rather than wasting our luggage allowance bringing a blanket, we'd like to just buy one when we get to Sydney, but then not bring it back with us as we'll be short of room.

I'm not familiar with brands in Sydney but figured there must be some cheap shops that sell that type of thing, I was hoping someone could suggest somewhere?

Many thanks.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,505 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap shop in Sydney to buy blanket that later throws away?

Possibly the wrong time of year for regular 'blanket' but you should be able to pick up a picnic blanket at places like Target or Big W or K Mart. Rather than 'throw it away' maybe you could consider donating it afterwards to someone like St Vincent de Paul or the Salvation army - both have 'thrift' shops all over sydney. You may actually even be able to get a regular 'blanket' from them in the first place

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap shop in Sydney to buy blanket that later throws away?

Vinnies or the Salvos was going to be my suggestion too.

At this time of year they have heaps of blankets, bedspreads and throws for just a few dollars. You could also pick up a cushion to sit on for a couple of dollars.

Donate it back when you're done.

Not sure where you are staying, but the nearest Vinnies to the city is probably the one in Surrey Hills. There's also a Salvos store there. Red Cross thrift stores are also round - there's one in Newtown that I know of.

You can google Vinnies, The Salvation Army or Red Cross Thrift Stores to find locations.

Darwin
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap shop in Sydney to buy blanket that later throws away?

I would buy a picnic blanket from a target or discount store. You can always just roll it up and leave it with a local long grasser they would appreciate it. Lou darwin

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap shop in Sydney to buy blanket that later throws away?

Yes Above suggestions, also the Reject Shop at Glebe or Bondi junction And stores like Dollar King at Bondi junction ,Sydney world square, haymarket. Even paddys market in haymarket may have something? I would try shops either near where you are staying or visiting. You can google many of them.

England, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap shop in Sydney to buy blanket that later throws away?

Perfect thank you! Appreciate all the suggestions I will go look those up now. Donating it is a good idea too.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,793 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap shop in Sydney to buy blanket that later throws away?

Which airline are you using? I recently flew etihad and their inflight blanket is a wondrous fleecy item. They didn't collect them at the end of the flight and passengers were stuffing them into carry on luggage all around me. (I wouldn't condone such behaviour of course). If you don't want 'airline blanket guilt', you could always give it back by leaving it on your return flight.

Just a thought...

Abs :)

Edited: 27 November 2013, 16:54
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,102 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap shop in Sydney to buy blanket that later throws away?

Airline guilt????? What's that????!!!!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap shop in Sydney to buy blanket that later throws away?

airline guilt = when the airlines feel guilty for overcharging you for their airfares and then offer you sub service at check in by their staff that don't have zero customer service skills. Then to top it all off, the airlines then feel bad for feeding you their gross airline food. Ha ha. Do you like my definition?! I wish.... :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap shop in Sydney to buy blanket that later throws away?

If you're sitting on stone steps, then an inflatable cushion might also do the trick . You can buy them from many of the above mentioned stores. Then donate back as suggested.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,543 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap shop in Sydney to buy blanket that later throws away?

That's pretty funny PW. It's a funny suggestion also from Abs about the blanket. But imagine if your hand luggage got caught out for being too bulky getting back on - then it's not airline guilt, it'll be airline karma lol